Experienced Assassin snail keepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to try to intro some assassin snails to eat the tiny pest snails that are taking over my tank! They're in the plants and rocky substrate, but really small. I've read that assassin snails will eat a RC shrimp if they can catch them. I've also read that they won't eat very small snails because they prefer snails about half their size. What's the truth? If I get them I want them to eat the pest snails! Help!!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Given time, assassins will be the only snails in your tank. While I don't believe I've actually witnessed my assassins eating tiny snails, I no longer have any snails. My snails used to be MTS's. They are tiny when babies, but if not eaten as babies, certainly eaten as they grow larger.

I have RCS and assassin tank. If they eat rcs's, it's not enough to slow down the overpopulation of RCS's.

Yeah I had a similar experience. The only MTSs that haven't gotten eaten are the ones that burrowed atleast 1/2 inch into the gravel, but I do regular deep gravel vacs so the ones that burrow eventually get eaten

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did a lot of research before getting into assassins and the general consensus seems to be that they'll only go after fish or shrimp that are sick/injured/dying.

Lots of good info in this video:

I breed assassin snails in my 20L and that tank has rcs. The shrimp are safe because they can move alot faster than any assassin snail.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did a lot of research before getting into assassins and the general consensus seems to be that they'll only go after fish or shrimp that are sick/injured/dying.

Lots of good info in this video:

Thank you, that was very helpful! I'm like 50/50 on getting them. Kinda worried they will pass over the small pest snails, more so than getting the RC shrimp. Not sure what to do?

Yeah I had a similar experience. The only MTSs that haven't gotten eaten are the ones that burrowed atleast 1/2 inch into the gravel, but I do regular deep gravel vacs so the ones that burrow eventually get eaten

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I should try vacuuming as well, a lot of these tiny critters live in the gravel.

The only tank I have an issue with pest snails is my 10g Endlers. I got tired of removing them by hand and added an assassin. Within days I've noticed a huge difference, hardly ever see them anymore.

The only tank I have an issue with pest snails is my 10g Endlers. I got tired of removing them by hand and added an assassin. Within days I've noticed a huge difference, hardly ever see them anymore.

Alright, so I purchases 2 assassin snails to try and kill these little pond snails and I'm not sure it's working. I've even seen a pond snail on its shell!! Arrggghhh! I don't know what to do, I think the assassins are passing them up because they're too small! What should I do?

Alright, so I purchases 2 assassin snails to try and kill these little pond snails and I'm not sure it's working. I've even seen a pond snail on its shell!! Arrggghhh! I don't know what to do, I think the assassins are passing them up because they're too small! What should I do?

Lol my assassin snail situation is the same. I'm like "dang dude, you just slithered by a pond snail!" I haven't actually seen it eat any of them yet and it's been about a week now I guess.

Lol my assassin snail situation is the same. I'm like "dang dude, you just slithered by a pond snail!" I haven't actually seen it eat any of them yet and it's been about a week now I guess.

Give them time and they will start eating the snails. If the lfs kept them in a tank with pest snails the assassins may not be hungry. When they are hungry it doesn't rake long for them to find and devour pest snails.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long have they been in the tank? My problem tank was a 10g, I added one assassin there was a very noticeable difference in the number of pest snails after about a week.

How long have they been in the tank? My problem tank was a 10g, I added one assassin there was a very noticeable difference in the number of pest snails after about a week.

They've been in the tank for about five days, they were kept in a tank with all assassin snails. I hope so because those little buggers are everywhere! I tied to scoop a bunch of them out gathered on a piece of shrimp food and they just scattered everywhere! Aargh!?

Hi, I have 11 assassins in my 28g, had a ramshorn problem, not anymore. I've seen a ramshorn slither across the back of an assassin and the assassin ignored it. I'm guessing it wasn't hungry at the time. It took several weeks before I noticed a real difference in the ramshorn population.

They take longer to clear out a population than chemicals would, but they're quite effective in the long run. Let them alone to do their thing in their own time, you won't be disappointed :)

They take longer to clear out a population than chemicals would, but they're quite effective in the long run. Let them alone to do their thing in their own time, you won't be disappointed :)

I do see a decrease in the number of tiny snails overall. One assassin snail died the other day. The other seems kinda sluggish, no pun intended! Can't tell if it's eating tiny snails or not, but there are fewer.

It's taken a few weeks, but the 20g is clear as far as we can tell. The infestation wasn't bad to begin with. By that, I mean we saw maybe four in a day and it's anyone's guess if it was the same four. Going to go another week-week and a half just to make sure, then get them on to the next tank. ^_^ Patience! Leave them alone! Go read a book! ?

Back
Top Bottom