Fantasy Blue Shrimps with Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered some Neocaridina fantasy blue. I ordered 7 but the breeder has 6 left in Stock so to compensate that he gave me three babies and a shadow Panda as a goodwill gesture.

https://youtu.be/8O6-gpmbGV0

Very tiny babies of course. Shall I put them to my Shrimp Only tank or let them stay in the bowl and add when they grow a little. Please advise.

I ordered some Neocaridina fantasy blue. I ordered 7 but the breeder has 6 left in Stock so to compensate that he gave me three babies and a shadow Panda as a goodwill gesture.

https://youtu.be/8O6-gpmbGV0

Very tiny babies of course. Shall I put them to my Shrimp Only tank or let them stay in the bowl and add when they grow a little. Please advise.

If it's a shrimp only tank why are you worried about adding babies?

If it's a shrimp only tank why are you worried about adding babies?
Not worried just thought they maybe taken care good outside the tank. But I put them in tank.

In the tank will likely be the best choice. Make sure you have a sponge on the intake, you know that already I expect.

That was nice of the seller and should be a beautiful bonus for you as well.

In the tank will likely be the best choice. Make sure you have a sponge on the intake, you know that already I expect.

That was nice of the seller and should be a beautiful bonus for you as well.
Thanks. Yes they are in tank already but haven't seen them after I added them. They must be hiding. Well I don't have a sponge but I covered my filter intake with the fish net. Please have a look if its ok?

IMG-20180213-WA0022.jpg

That looks alright for the moment but the newly hatched baby shrimp are so tiny I imagine for the first day or 2 or 3 could slip through. A sponge would be better. I use small Fluval Edge pre filter sponges. There is a 3 pack available for more like the price of 2 individual boxed sponges. There are some similar types available in bulk from sellers on Ebay and possibly Amazon. Cheap, but the ones I got from a friend who bought them lacked the firmness and would clog and cave in frequently after a month or 2. There was a thread about these types of bulk generic prefilters and one persons experience was that theirs were stiffer and more rigid than the brand name.

So it is the luck of the draw I think.

I have also used the sponge from a intake style sponge filter - vertical style, was much larger and I utilized it as an additional home for BB, so cared for it as one would for filter media.

Often the shrimp will molt when in new clean water after having to travel. Therefore be hiding for a few days.

One way would be to check them - withhold food for one day to a couple of feedings, then see if they come out when the next feeding happens.

If you decide that route I would wait a couple days to see if they come out on their own first.
EDGE Pre-filter Sponge | A1387 | Filter Media | Fluval

That looks alright for the moment but the newly hatched baby shrimp are so tiny I imagine for the first day or 2 or 3 could slip through. A sponge would be better. I use small Fluval Edge pre filter sponges. There is a 3 pack available for more like the price of 2 individual boxed sponges. There are some similar types available in bulk from sellers on Ebay and possibly Amazon. Cheap, but the ones I got from a friend who bought them lacked the firmness and would clog and cave in frequently after a month or 2. There was a thread about these types of bulk generic prefilters and one persons experience was that theirs were stiffer and more rigid than the brand name.

I have also used the sponge from a intake style sponge filter - vertical style, was much larger and I utilized it as an additional home for BB, so cared for it as one would for filter media.

Often the shrimp will molt when in new clean water after having to travel. Therefore be hiding for a few days.

One way would be to check them - withhold food for one day to a couple of feedings, then see if they come out when the next feeding happens.

If you decide that route I would wait a couple days to see if they come out on their own first.
Thanks a lot. I thought maybe adding a sponge will decrease filter efficiency. But it will look for it. I hope my LFS has this one or something similar in Stock.

About the baby shrimps I hardly see baby shrimps in tank and they usually come out when they grew up a little. I maybe seen twice or thrice baby shrimps swimming since I own the tank. I just spot new shrimps when they come out and I know they are new because of small size.i don't see any baby shrimps come out even during feedings. I do see little ones but no babies. Also my Caridinas didn't breed yet [emoji20] I think its because my pH is 7. Should be lower to 5.5 to 6.5. Other than that everything is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom