Finally got some RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
After many years of wanting them, I finally bought 30 cherry shrimp for my 28 gallon tank.

9826-albums9348-picture36940.jpg

Searched graigslist and found a guy about an hour away from me selling them for a buck a piece. Not to bad.

I had a spong that I purchased about 5 years ago for these shrimp, but never used it. I cut a hole in the center for the filter inlet and placed it in the tank. Seems to work just fine. Figure I will just turn the canister off and clean the spong when I clean the tank.

Welcome to the cute side ;) I was gonna say Dark Side, but Shrimpz are so cute ! LOL
I really enjoy mine. I hope to get brave enough to start selling on here. I've never shipped. Will try soon.

Welcome to the cute side ;) I was gonna say Dark Side, but Shrimpz are so cute ! LOL
I really enjoy mine. I hope to get brave enough to start selling on here. I've never shipped. Will try soon.

I have had ghost, bambo, and amano shrimp before. I just always wanted cherry's, but didn't want them shipped here for fear that I wouldn't be home when they arrived.

Ther are very cute. That's for sure.

Coursair said:
My RCS playing after a water change

How'd you get that moss ball to be so perfectly round o_O

Congrats on your RCS, hopefully they're alone or with nano fish or soon enough you'll have expensive food lol :S

I now have a berried RCS. Yeah. Also I have about 7 or 8 that are saddled.

Today I went and visited Alpha Pro Breeders . What a great place. His shrimp are top notch. I originally wanted some OEBT's, but he is back ordered for the next 2 months. He has some in stock along with dozens of rare shrimp. I left his store with 5 CRS and 5 CBS.

Here is one of the black ones:
9826-albums9348-picture37377.jpg

The CRS are out and about already. These shrimp are really nice looking. They appear to be a nice grade as well.

9826-albums9348-picture37383.jpg

rkilling1 said:
The CRS are out and about already. These shrimp are really nice looking. They appear to be a nice grade as well.

Beautiful. They will interbreed tho :/.

The black one is probably S/S+ and the red is SS. In my opinion there.

rkilling1 said:
Exactly. That's what I want. It's not uncommon for shrimp breeders to have CRS and CBS in the same tank.

Hmm for breeders maybe it is more than you think. But for hobbyists, I'd completely agree. I would even do it myself if I could ever get my DARN PH lower than 8 :(

Hmm for breeders maybe it is more than you think. But for hobbyists, I'd completely agree. I would even do it myself if I could ever get my DARN PH lower than 8 :(

Actually it's not, they breed true. My CRS/CBS had lots of offspring early last year and they were always distinctively different. It's nice because it lets you keep different colors in the tank without worrying about the interbreeding issue.

Actually it's not, they breed true. My CRS/CBS had lots of offspring early last year and they were always distinctively different. It's nice because it lets you keep different colors in the tank without worrying about the interbreeding issue.

I think we need to do more research on this subject. From my research prior to purchasing the shrimp, I found that breeders put these two species together to increase the genetic pool. CRS and CBS do interbreed.

The first generation will be all CBS, but the off spring will carry the recessive red gene. The off springs babies with be a 50/50 mix of red and black.

The better white of the black gets incorporated into the red strain, but there will always be downsides to doing this. Some of the CBS may be brown due to having both the red and black genes.

You also do not want to interbreed them if you plan on breeding them for higher grades. The most common way to breed to a higher grade is to line breed them with the same genetics.

Also, by allowing them to interbreed, your off spring will not be as sensitive to environmental changes.

rkilling1 said:
I think we need to do more research on this subject. From my research prior to purchasing the shrimp, I found that breeders put these two species together to increase the genetic pool. CRS and CBS do interbreed.

The first generation will be all CBS, but the off spring will carry the recessive red gene. The off springs babies with be a 50/50 mix of red and black.

The better white of the black gets incorporated into the red strain, but there will always be downsides to doing this. Some of the CBS may be brown due to having both the red and black genes.

You also do not want to interbreed them if you plan on breeding them for higher grades. The most common way to breed to a higher grade is to line breed them with the same genetics.

Also, by allowing them to interbreed, your off spring will not be as sensitive to environmental changes.

This is what I meant. Thanks for clearing it up. If you're going for continuance of a high grade/trying to breed higher, you'd want to preserve your strain as best as you can.

I can see pros and cons now, whereas I only saw cons before.

Very interesting!

Just an update. My tank has dozens of shrimp fry now. Some of them about 1/4" all the way down to pretty much little white specs. It is REALLY cool looking through the tank at night with a flashlight and seeing all of them.

Here is a pic I snapped while holding the flashlight and camera, so don't expect it to be perfect. :)

The little guy is right behind the MTS. (That is Glosso for a size reference)

9826-albums9348-picture38915.jpg

Babies!

How exciting! So adorable, too. I can hardly wait for lots of shrimp! Keep us posted on their progress please, and continued pics as well!

Back
Top Bottom