Fire Red and Bloody Marys wont breed but RCS are???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArsenalOfColor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have 2 NPT shrimp tanks, a 20g with 30 adult/sub adult RCS and about 40 shrimplets in there from a breeder on aquabid, and a 10g with 5 Fire and 5 Bloody Marys.

The RCS came with two berried females both of which successfully carried and hatched their eggs, now I have two different females in that tank also berried. I've had the 5 Fire RCS since mid December and must have all females cause 4 of the 5 have all been saddled at one point but none of them have gotten berried. A week ago I grabbed 5 "RCS" from my LFS; they were clearly Bloody Marys super dark almost brick red. I tried to grab the tiniest or most obviously male, think I might have gotten two. Both tanks have WILDLY different parameters which is totally my fault for setting them up so differently.

Water comes out of my tap at 8.2 (Florida limestone) but I think after sitting for a day it comes down to like 7.4-7.6 since that's what the majority of my tanks sit at. Just tested some straight from the tap and I have some that I'll age over night.

Using API Freshwater Master Test Kit and API Kh/Gh Test Kit
20g NPT soil base pool filter sand cap with a piece of driftwood leeching a bit of tannins still which is significantly lowering the pH.
Temp 76.8F
pH 7
Kh 4-5
GH 196.9 ppm GH/KH 11 drops

10g NPT soil base Eco Complete cap which is significantly raising the pH.
Temp 74.6F
pH 7.7
Kh 4-5
GH 214.8 ppm GH/KH 12 drops

Both tanks have been up since the start of January.

Back
Top Bottom