First RCS births

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtHomeWithTwins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thought id put this out there for anyone like me who is a newbie to shrimp and had pregnancy questions. Took one day short of three weeks for my first berried female to give birth. All day she was curling her tail up tightly underneath her and flapping her swimmerettrs like crazy. Finally i saw one hatchling on the sponge prefilter on my hob filter(actually i noticed the movement of its antenna which is as long as the shrimp at this point). I found two more along the gravel line eventually. Once you study and look at them closely, you can tell they are miniature shrimp, but in a planted tank w fish, they look just like any other piece of "stuff" stuck to the filter. They are about half the size of a grain of rice in size. My tank is at 75 degrees as i hear temp plays a role in incubation time. Gotta go now, gonna check out my new shrimp!!

RCS babies are so small that I've only ever seen them once they get to about 8mm long. I have a LOT of Java moss and I think they hide out away from the fish until too big to eat. I shall look even harder now to find a hatchling. Happy hunting :)

Congrats! I purchased RCS from an LFS and after several months no breeding. Lots of dying though :(
Got 20 from AA member JungleFowl and things took off! Newly hatched shrimp appear to yellow/tan with light colored eyes and are all antennae. I find individuals from new batches clinging to the algae covered back wall of the tank. It's a shrimp only tank.

Congrats on your babies! I just discovered my first batch of babies a couple weeks ago myself. I thought my berried shrimp cast of her eggs prematurely or something and then discovered this guy a day later. Now that time has passed I've seen around 30 babies.

Some pics from day one and today:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1401290921102.jpg
    1401290921102.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 81
  • 1401290934066.jpg
    1401290934066.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom