First try time trying shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So was at the pet store morning and on an impulse decided I would pick up a couple shrimp for my 55g community tank. I have been interested in shrimp, but first time trying them in one of my tanks other than frozen ones to my cichlids. This tank is planted and I am still adding more plants to it. So after putting the three cherry shrimp in the tank they seemed fine moving around a lot. They are faster than I thought they would be. After about an hour one of my mollies got intrigued and went up to one the shrimp sped off so fast he literally jumped out if the tank and was clinging on out of the water. Is this normal? And any suggestions on good plant for them to hide in I would like them to breed. I currently have some java fern, amazon sword, crypto something, a little grass, and one other not sure or the name. I also have a large piece of driftwood and a small piece.

Those shrimp are most likely going to be someone's dinner. You need heavy plants or compatible tankmates.

They would love a nice big clump of java moss to breed in/live in.

Well if they end up someones dinner then that sucks. I am going to go try to find a local place with java moss I was wanting to get some moss to grow on my driftwood. But back to the question is it normal for them to jump out if the water?

If they feel they have become prey, possibly. Fish will also jump to escape poor water conditions.

How did you acclimate the shrimp?

I left them in the bag from store for about 45 min to get temp right then I add them to a bowl with half tank water and what's in the bag let them sit for 20 min then add them to tank. I do the same with all my fish and have never had problems.

Back
Top Bottom