fluval chi filter for cherry shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently picked up a perfectly good fluval chi 5 gallon aquarium off he curb. My questions is would this kind of filter be ok for RCshrimp? I love the look and thought that since the intake is so high in the aquarium it might be ok. Has anyone done this before? They currently are in a 5 gallon standard with sponge filter, and I just don't like the look of sponge filters.
Here is an example of what the tank/filter set up looks like:
81DOCbBZUnL._SL1500_.jpg

Depends on what the filter intake looks like. If it has slots or holes, then there is a good chance that it will suck in the babies/juvees regardless of the location of the filter. Is there a way to place some type of mesh or thin foam over the filters intake? Just curious because I've seen these aquariums but not up close.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As above, the main aim is to prevent baby RCS getting sucked up into the filter. I cover my filter inlet with and old piece of fish net and last time I cleaned the filter I still found 10 babies living in it. They were all fine and swam off into the tank when released. I would never have thought it possible, but it happened. If I use a finer mesh then it blocks up too quickly. The point being is that baby RCS are incredibly tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom