"Free" Snails - What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kr1st3n

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, as the story always goes, you buy some live plants, get some 'free' pond snails and snail eggs. I was able to trim most of the eggs off of my plants and get them into a small holding tank, (.5 gal), along with most of the other baby snails. I just don't know what to do with them now. I'm having a bit of a worm invasion in my tanks, and some of the bigger, (I'm guessing pond snails?), baby snails are eating those up like candy. So, for now it benefits me to keep a few. I have some friends that want snails for their tanks as a clean up crew, but I don't know what to tell them or do. Should I just get these guys big and strong and ship them out, or are they a complete nuisance? :hide:

you can give them a few under the stip they WILL multiply and it is out of your hands.

Just let them know the risks. I gave my buddy one pond snail and a couple MTS and he never even sees them.

I gave someone else 2 MTS snails and they love em (small tank).

Any rate I have some larger MTS now and a small variety of pond snails. To some it may seem like an epidemic but to me I just see a few here and there and they are by no means out of control.
I actually mushed one on my tank wall yesterday by accident (the pond ones are very soft) and my fish all went nuts for it. My moose of a dalmatian molly swallowed it whole pretty much. Thought she was choking for a minute cause she starting flinching like she was having trouble taking it in but sure enough it went down.
I myself am going to get a small 5 gallon puffer tank so its just food for him to eventually.
Back to topic, if your friends know the risks and want them go ahead.

you can give them a few under the stip they WILL multiply and it is out of your hands.

Just let them know the risks. I gave my buddy one pond snail and a couple MTS and he never even sees them.

I gave someone else 2 MTS snails and they love em (small tank).

Any rate I have some larger MTS now and a small variety of pond snails. To some it may seem like an epidemic but to me I just see a few here and there and they are by no means out of control.
I actually mushed one on my tank wall yesterday by accident (the pond ones are very soft) and my fish all went nuts for it. My moose of a dalmatian molly swallowed it whole pretty much. Thought she was choking for a minute cause she starting flinching like she was having trouble taking it in but sure enough it went down.
I myself am going to get a small 5 gallon puffer tank so its just food for him to eventually.
Back to topic, if your friends know the risks and want them go ahead.

I set a few pond snails and a ramhorn aside in a small tank for my friends, and the rest in a half filled 1.5 gal bowl with most of the eggs I could find. When I was out buying some more plants for my 5 gal, I came across a new aquarium store in my area that had some leopard puffers in stock. I have one in quarantine right now, and then will be getting his 10 gal on Friday, along with a buddy for him to eat snails with.

So, I guess I'll just maintain the snails, try to keep them spawning for food. :) I kind of like seeing the babies rummage around.

Back
Top Bottom