Freshwater Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Anybody growing these, where did you get them? How is it going?

Lets talk about them. What are they growing in?

I saw a few and posted about this before but there was a limited response!

Well they aren't actually filter feeders per say. They have a decent sized bio load just like a fish, and if they die in your substrate then it'll be a death trap for your tank. :/

WOW, ok...... I hadn't ever looked at it that way.....Thanks alot for ruining my night!!! LOL

That stinks! Now that you mention it I faintly remember something about toxicity after death. BIG SAD FACE :bawl: and crying!

Alright so I won't get them unless I get a big lake or a small pond in the ground with a sandy beach.

I had one for a while that accidentally came in with a bunch of native plants. He didn't really do a whole lot, just sat there barely sticking out of the substrate with his little foot thing sticking out a little. That was about it. Not sure if he made it or not, but he's been in a tank for a few months.

I have a lot of these guys, They like really "silty" tanks, And that can pose a problem depending on the type of fish that you keep. I don't worry about die offs "fouling because whenever one has died in the past all of the snails and shrimp in the tank would scavenge it and the contents of the shell would be gone within a day.

As far as filter feeding... They have no noticable effect on water quality. they are just... for lack of a better term a novelty within aquaria. they are seldom seen, I strongly advise against running anything but a sponge filter. But then You would need to run a powerhead for current. And I would maybe only stock one per every 10gal.

Are these the golden clams? Or what kind do you have and where did you get them?

I have a powerhead but have never used one, it came with a tank I bought.

Yes they are, Any other freshwater clam is probably too large for Aquaria. I bought mine online a while ago. but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it again...

1. they are an invasive species. And there is the ethical issue about commerce and invasives.
2. The limitations that they added to my setup far outweighs the benefits.

you shouldnt keep freshwater clams. they are filter feeders and usually die very quickly in aquaria, if you want it to live yu would need to feed it pretty much constantly

my experience with clams

clams are really neat, first of all they dig around and help you sift through your substrate.

another positive is that they dont multiply like crazy like snails do and do the same job.

Clams also filter bacteria and algae in the tank helps replicate a natural cycle.

what mabj said is right, if they die and they are under the substrate. It can pollute your tank, but in cases i've seen they usually die near surface and believe it or not, the shrimps can make their way in through the shell and eat the clam.

heres a picture!

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 125
shrimpbako said:
clams are really neat, first of all they dig around and help you sift through your substrate.

another positive is that they dont multiply like crazy like snails do and do the same job.

Clams also filter bacteria and algae in the tank helps replicate a natural cycle.

what mabj said is right, if they die and they are under the substrate. It can pollute your tank, but in cases i've seen they usually die near surface and believe it or not, the shrimps can make their way in through the shell and eat the clam.

heres a picture!

Good info :) you make me want some lol. But my tank really isn't big enough. I'd like a 20 gallon or so to keep them.

I've always thought they were interesting, but the chance of having my tank blown up with a dead clam that my shrimp/snails miss Is too risky.

Thinking about it tho, it you also have MTS, they could clean up the dead clam maybe under the substrate.

MABJ said:
Good info :) you make me want some lol. But my tank really isn't big enough. I'd like a 20 gallon or so to keep them.

I've always thought they were interesting, but the chance of having my tank blown up with a dead clam that my shrimp/snails miss Is too risky.

Thinking about it tho, it you also have MTS, they could clean up the dead clam maybe under the substrate.

I would imagine ramshorn snails eating them up in a heartbeat also.

If they died outside of the substrate, but I was talking about the chance of them dying under the substrate completely -- where ramshorns can't get em.

In the pic, the shrimp picked through the shell n is eating the dead clam inside!!! I was surprised when I saw this.

Plus I dont think mts can eat clams.....

One little trick is to use a small basket sort of thing like the ones u use to get strawberries or other berries in that's like 4x4" and 4" deep. Sink the basket into the substart with 2cm stick out of the top and put the clams in there like a pig pen. This limits them moving everywhere in your tank and you can periodically check on them with ease without wondering where they might be

:)

One little trick is to use a small basket sort of thing like the ones u use to get strawberries or other berries in that's like 4x4" and 4" deep. Sink the basket into the substart with 2cm stick out of the top and put the clams in there like a pig pen. This limits them moving everywhere

:)

I've read that before, And I think it is the same as keeping A beta in cup. No one should keep clams unless they have The tank to accomadate them In life or death.

Austin.b said:
This is probably the dumbest question all of you have ever heard, but clams move? o.0

Absolutely lol. They stick their tongue/foot out of their shell, and then they move around and can dig through substrate. It is really interesting lol.

Don't have any clams, but do have freshwater mussels in a couple different tanks. While they are filter-feeders, they are filtering out microorganisms, so while they may help with water clarity, they certainly won't affect water chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom