Freshwater clams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ljk09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any experiences with them? I'm sure they don't do much but the idea of them is cool.

Freshwater clams are not good for aquariums. They are filter feeders so a system that has a constant supply of green water is the suitable home for one of these clams.

Freshwater clams are not good for aquariums. They are filter feeders so a system that has a constant supply of green water is the suitable home for one of these clams.
Respectfully I disagree :) I have a FW clam now and know other people keep them. You need good water flow and a planted tank though.

GodFan said:
Respectfully I disagree :) I have a FW clam now and know other people keep them. You need good water flow and a planted tank though.

Wow I've never heard of fresh water clams sounds cool I'm so going on google haha Can you give me some info on them from your experience like what you can keep them with and tank size? I have a planted tank with a bubble bar and good water flow would that be any good?

Wow I've never heard of fresh water clams sounds cool I'm so going on google haha Can you give me some info on them from your experience like what you can keep them with and tank size? I have a planted tank with a bubble bar and good water flow would that be any good?
I have not had mine very long but I will tell you what I do know. What is your tank size and exact filter? Their needs to be a good amount of plants to keep them. The plants cause microorganisms to populate the water. They are ok to keep with anything that doesnt eat shellfish. No pufferfish lol Assassin snails are considered iffy but I havent had an issue. They dont really do anything. They just sit their in the sand but it is just cool still lol

GodFan said:
I have not had mine very long but I will tell you what I do know. What is your tank size and exact filter? Their needs to be a good amount of plants to keep them. The plants cause microorganisms to populate the water. They are ok to keep with anything that doesnt eat shellfish. No pufferfish lol Assassin snails are considered iffy but I havent had an issue. They dont really do anything. They just sit their in the sand but it is just cool still lol

It's a 70litre which is about 17.5g i think ,the filter came with it it has a good flow though and does a really good job and the bubble bar helps too my fish love it. I don't even know if I can get them here in Western Australia. I do have a fair amount of plants in my tank so that shouldnt be an issue

It's a 70litre which is about 17.5g i think ,the filter came with it it has a good flow though and does a really good job and the bubble bar helps too my fish love it. I don't even know if I can get them here in Western Australia. I do have a fair amount of plants in my tank so that shouldnt be an issue
Just be sure you can see the water moving on the bottom and he should be ok.

I don't think I'll get any for my tank. I wouldn't want them to truly not thrive in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom