GH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A1720

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, one of my crystal red shrimp finally berried and her eggs were hatched last week. Tiny CRS are seen. However, I still encounter the problem of dying of CRS. I doubted it’s due to the low GH of my tank water. It’s about 3-4. Other parameters are fine: pH 6.6, kH 3, Ammonia and NO2 0, NO3 0-5. Could anyone advise how to raise GH only? Thanks

Hi, one of my crystal red shrimp finally berried and her eggs were hatched last week. Tiny CRS are seen. However, I still encounter the problem of dying of CRS. I doubted it’s due to the low GH of my tank water. It’s about 3-4. Other parameters are fine: pH 6.6, kH 3, Ammonia and NO2 0, NO3 0-5. Could anyone advise how to raise GH only? Thanks

kH should be lower... 1 degree at most.... RO / Distilled water mixed with tap or use KHCO3 to boost it to 1 degree:

135mg / 1 US gallon - 1 degree of kH

Or use HCL to reduce kH to 1

Do you have a buffering substrate? If so no kH boost is required.
How are you measuring kH and gH?
TDS of water?
Source of water?
What is causing your pH to be at 6.6?

CaSO4 + MgSO4 for gH....

180mg / 1 US gallon CaSO4 - 1.5 degrees gH
85mg / 1 US gallon MgSO4 - 0.4 degrees gH

Combined = 2 degrees gH boost @ "decent" Ca:Mg ratio

kH should be lower... 1 degree at most.... RO / Distilled water mixed with tap or use KHCO3 to boost it to 1 degree:

135mg / 1 US gallon - 1 degree of kH

Or use HCL to reduce kH to 1

Do you have a buffering substrate? If so no kH boost is required.
How are you measuring kH and gH?
TDS of water?
Source of water?
What is causing your pH to be at 6.6?

CaSO4 + MgSO4 for gH....

180mg / 1 US gallon CaSO4 - 1.5 degrees gH
85mg / 1 US gallon MgSO4 - 0.4 degrees gH

Combined = 2 degrees gH boost @ "decent" Ca:Mg ratio

Hi, ZxC. Thanks for your advice. ADA amazonia is used and hence, pH is kept at 6.6. I measure kH and gH by 6 in 1 test strips. TDS is 80-90 and I use dechlorinated tap water which is rather soft. Thanks.

Hi, ZxC. Thanks for your advice. ADA amazonia is used and hence, pH is kept at 6.6. I measure kH and gH by 6 in 1 test strips. TDS is 80-90 and I use dechlorinated tap water which is rather soft. Thanks.

ADA soil should be used with gH boosted RO or gH boosted distilled water. Do not try and dose kH if using ADA soil, no need to because the soil strips water of kH and will act as a buffer.

ADA soil should be used with gH boosted RO or gH boosted distilled water. Do not try and dose kH if using ADA soil, no need to because the soil strips water of kH and will act as a buffer.

Hi, ZxC. Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom