Ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfilk

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will the eggs hatch in freshwater? I have a berried female an I would like to get more shrimp

No they won't. Had many ghost shrimp who were berried. Very hard to get them to hatch.

I heard you can. Some guy bred them and said they don't need brackish water, however there are other species of shrimp commonly sold as ghost shrimp. They could be a subspecies found in fresh or brackish water. It's worth a try. Hope this helps...

Yeah that helps actually I hope I have the kind that the young spawn in freshwater thanks!

Can you find out if they are the American species called palaemonetes ? If so, they do reproduce in fresh water, but it's not as simple as with live bearing shrimp like cherries.

What makes it hard is that the eggs float and hatch on the surface, and it's very hard to see what's going on. Once the eggs are released and rise to the surface, they soon hatch into larvae, known as zoeys, which are so tiny you can't really see them.

Depending on temps, they morph in 4 to 5 days into tiny shrimplets, which do not swim freely for awhile. They sit just below the surface for a few days, and don't swim. They do sink to the bottom in darkness, and rise to the surface in light. Plants are good for them to hide in, and later to graze biofilm off. Moss is helpful, floating plant cover is also helpful.

The zoeys need a very mature tank to find enough food to survive. They need food items less than 5 microns in size.. so infusoria, basically, or single cell algae. If you are not sure the tank has enough food, you can feed them cultured single cell algae, aka green water. I gave mine about 100 cc daily in two doses, just below the water surface.

Once they morph, they still need very tiny food. They don't chase it, only grab what comes close to them. I fed microworms, but they also continue to eat the micro organisms that they ate when they were larvae.

They moult often, you'll see the moulted shells floating around, looking like dead shrimps, but they aren't dead shrimps, just shells. When they get to be about a quarter inch long, they start to swim, and will move down to the tank bottom, where they feed mostly on biofilm. You can feed tiny, tiny amounts of algae pellet, tabs or shrimp pellets once they are moving around freely on the bottom.

A sponge filter will be appreciated, and won't suck up the little shrimp or the larvae or the eggs, which most HOB filters will do.

Adult shrimp may eat their own young, so if you have a separate tank you can keep for raising the babies, it helps increase survival rates quite a bit. But I've had a few grow up in a community 29G with many fish and other shrimps in it, so you should get some living to grow up.

If you want more info, let me know. I've raised quite a few Ghost shrimps.

Can you find out if they are the American species called palaemonetes ? If so, they do reproduce in fresh water, but it's not as simple as with live bearing shrimp like cherries.

What makes it hard is that the eggs float and hatch on the surface, and it's very hard to see what's going on. Once the eggs are released and rise to the surface, they soon hatch into larvae, known as zoeys, which are so tiny you can't really see them.

Depending on temps, they morph in 4 to 5 days into tiny shrimplets, which do not swim freely for awhile. They sit just below the surface for a few days, and don't swim. They do sink to the bottom in darkness, and rise to the surface in light. Plants are good for them to hide in, and later to graze biofilm off. Moss is helpful, floating plant cover is also helpful.

The zoeys need a very mature tank to find enough food to survive. They need food items less than 5 microns in size.. so infusoria, basically, or single cell algae. If you are not sure the tank has enough food, you can feed them cultured single cell algae, aka green water. I gave mine about 100 cc daily in two doses, just below the water surface.

Once they morph, they still need very tiny food. They don't chase it, only grab what comes close to them. I fed microworms, but they also continue to eat the micro organisms that they ate when they were larvae.

They moult often, you'll see the moulted shells floating around, looking like dead shrimps, but they aren't dead shrimps, just shells. When they get to be about a quarter inch long, they start to swim, and will move down to the tank bottom, where they feed mostly on biofilm. You can feed tiny, tiny amounts of algae pellet, tabs or shrimp pellets once they are moving around freely on the bottom.

A sponge filter will be appreciated, and won't suck up the little shrimp or the larvae or the eggs, which most HOB filters will do.

Adult shrimp may eat their own young, so if you have a separate tank you can keep for raising the babies, it helps increase survival rates quite a bit. But I've had a few grow up in a community 29G with many fish and other shrimps in it, so you should get some living to grow up.

If you want more info, let me know. I've raised quite a few Ghost shrimps.

Thanks for the info! And ill see what the LFS says about them and I hope I can get them to breed

Back
Top Bottom