Ghost Shrimp Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm on my way to Petsmart to get several ghost shrimp...
I want to put some in my 20g L with my platies and 1" juvie mollies and also in my 10g newborn platy tank..
Any suggestions?

Edit: they're out!! Shipment tomorrow... Say only get 12-24 at a time so call first...

Edit #2: Called Petco and The girl said "it's hard to see them i think there are one or two"

Cute little buggers! I have 4 they are very hard to spot, takes me 30 mins to find them so I don't suck them up on a pwc! Lol
Be careful they tend to eat the small fry or what ever they can grab and fit into their mouths.

jetajockey said:
That's cool. I collect freshwater ghost shrimp now and again when I'm out fishing, they aren't very colorful but they are fun to watch.

I read on a site they need to be in an aquarium with a top... What's your experience?

Starka said:
Cute little buggers! I have 4 they are very hard to spot, takes me 30 mins to find them so I don't suck them up on a pwc! Lol
Be careful they tend to eat the small fry or what ever they can grab and fit into their mouths.

On a site I read that they are safe for even day old fry and will ignore them.

ocminpin said:
On a site I read that they are safe for even day old fry and will ignore them.

Mine grabbed one of my day old guppies, your fry maybe to big though compared to mine.
They were moved to the ten gal after that.
May depend on how big they are.

I keep them in topless tanks. I could see them maybe jumping out if the water was really shallow and they freaked out and did their little jumping thing, but I've never had an issue with it.

I've not had them mess with fry at all, there are dozens of species that are labeled 'ghost shrimp' or 'grass shrimp', so sometimes the more aggressive ones get mixed in there. I've never had an issue with the ones I've caught, or the one's I've gotten from the LFS. I would be concerned with any that have large front claws (macro shrimp), but the kind that I keep don't have the tools to do any real damage to anything. And even if they did, a fish or shrimp that is dumb enough to sit still and be eaten should probably be given up to darwin.

Starka said:
Mine grabbed one of my day old guppies, your fry maybe to big though compared to mine.
They were moved to the ten gal after that.
May depend on how big they are.

Some of the fry are bigger but my 4 wk old platy fry are TINYYYYYY still... As small or smaller than newborn Molly fry

jetajockey said:
I keep them in topless tanks. I could see them maybe jumping out if the water was really shallow and they freaked out and did their little jumping thing, but I've never had an issue with it.

I've not had them mess with fry at all, there are dozens of species that are labeled 'ghost shrimp' or 'grass shrimp', so sometimes the more aggressive ones get mixed in there. I've never had an issue with the ones I've caught, or the one's I've gotten from the LFS. I would be concerned with any that have large front claws (macro shrimp), but the kind that I keep don't have the tools to do any real damage to anything.

Okay... Thank you... I got 3 (all they had) and want to put in my topless 20g L tank with 1/2-1" juvie mollies and 2 adult platies

ocminpin said:
Some of the fry are bigger but my 4 wk old platy fry are TINYYYYYY still... As small or smaller than newborn Molly fry

Mine were really small under 1/4th an inch almost as big as a bloodworm. But it depends I guess. Mine fry hang out near the bottom at night nothing to really hide behind.

Starka said:
Mine were really small under 1/4th an inch almost as big as a bloodworm. But it depends I guess. Mine fry hang out near the bottom at night nothing to really hide behind.
Some are swimming around some are hunkered down...

I have 2.
One jumped right out of the net when we tried to put him in the tank!!! It was pretty scary cause we couldn't see/find it against the light tan carpet..
Found it after almost 2 minutes of looking and scooped him back into the tank immediately.
Guy has been just fine ever since... resilient little critters..

They're pretty cool. I like watchin em scurry around the tank and they seem to love the shrimp bits mixed in with the food (weird..)

janky said:
I have 2.
One jumped right out of the net when we tried to put him in the tank!!! It was pretty scary cause we couldn't see/find it against the light tan carpet..
Found it after almost 2 minutes of looking and scooped him back into the tank immediately.
Guy has been just fine ever since... resilient little critters..

They're pretty cool. I like watchin em scurry around the tank and they seem to love the shrimp bits mixed in with the food (weird..)

Lol that happened to me too, jumped on my clothes could find him for a little bit :p

They made it into the tank :) acclimated a they're crawling along the glass and bouncing and scurrying along the marbles and rocks...
I would be soooooo grossed out with it crawling on me or on the floor...

ocminpin said:
They made it into the tank :) acclimated a they're crawling along the glass and bouncing and scurrying along the marbles and rocks...
I would be soooooo grossed out with it crawling on me or on the floor...

Lol
I don't know what they are doing with the rubbing bellies, since I can't see mine too well. I have huge river rocks in my tank. When I feed they will swim to the top and grab a BS or BW before the guppies get them.
Every once a while you may see them with eggs near their tails too. Good Luck! ;)

My adult females have eggs attached to her hind swimmerets 95% of the time so that makes it very easy to tell. The adult female is also larger than the adult male. When they are juvis it's had for me to sex them.

Back
Top Bottom