Ghost Shrimp - RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varien

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had aquariums for 10 years and am currently 27 =) The past 2 years i've really wanted to start going above and beyond which my wife isn't to happy about it. But she always goes "oooooo" when I get something right lol.

Currently I have a 90Gal setup lightly planted, soon to be moderate.

1X Butterfly Loach
1X Bristlenose Pleco
18-20X White Cloud Minnows (They are just awesome!)
1X Blue dwarf Gourami
2X Red tail sharks
3X Ottos

I've been slowing turning my tank into a planted tank the past year and i've finally succeeded in doing it right and not having everything die =) I ended up with maybe 3 or 4 species of snails in the last 2 weeks which I have already noticed are reproducing like mad fire. (I dont mind the snails they are awesome!) 2 sides of my tank (the glass) is a giant wall of Algae which is totally awesome and I love it. I was thinking I should get some Assassin Snails to try and even out the eco balance of my tank which will very shortly be over-run by normal snails in this buffet type environment.

Any thoughts on the above?

And the entire reason for this thread! I have this huge urge to put some red cherries in the tank! I was thinking 10 to start off, but I have never ever had shrimp before. So my huge question is, can I use Ghost Shrimp as a test for my tank whether or not RCS will be viable?

Note: What are you guys thinking about my bio load atm? At my max, I can push out 3 watts per gallon + a 5 foot across window for daylight. I have 2 filters installed on the back which filters the entire tank 1 1/2 times every hour. Let me know if you need anymore info!

NOTE NOTE: Thanks!

Sounds fine. The biolad is low actually. The shrimp would be ok with the water as long as there is calcium. The gourami or the rts may eat the shrimp and the babies surely will be eaten.

That does seem like a decently low bioload. Ghost shrimp may not be picked on, but RCS will surely be eaten by both the gouramis and sharks.

You mean the babies will be eaten by the gourami and the RTS?

The gourami is actually a lone survivor out of 8. Initially had 4 red and 4 blue. Overnight there was a huge war and he was last man standing. So he's the war hero in the tank, but he's never messed with any of the other fish =(

And all day long the 2 RTS scavenge around. They are literally the roundest fish in the tank.

You mean the babies will be eaten by the gourami and the RTS?

The gourami is actually a lone survivor out of 8. Initially had 4 red and 4 blue. Overnight there was a huge war and he was last man standing. So he's the war hero in the tank, but he's never messed with any of the other fish =(

And all day long the 2 RTS scavenge around. They are literally the roundest fish in the tank.

Not just the baby RCS would be eaten, the adults would too. Ghost shrimp would be the better option because they are bigger.

Back
Top Bottom