Ghost shrimp turning blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlakRiot

Aquarium Advice Regular
I haven't used any medicines and I've been doing twice daily water changes to try to get rid of a possible infection that has been killing my shrimp. But yeah he is turning blue. I cycled the tank with them in it so I can't tell if it's been infection or just consistent damage over time that has finally done some of them in so I'm playing it safe and treating it like infection until all cloudiness in their color dissipates.

Pic and video because he won't sit still. I'm aware he is female I don't know why I keep referring to it as a he I just do.

Also I assure you it's not just appearing that way from substrate. He is the only one blue. Another is a redish color while another one is yellowish. All others are cloudy white. He has been this way for weeks. I was feeding them flakes and pellets and recently switched to algae wafers. I have found those to be easier to clean up.

Not really looking for help or anything. If you have suggestions as to why he is blue that would be cool. I have many different speculations as to why.

-possibly to do with hormonal reaction to being berried
-water parameters altering color
-temperature induced pigmentation change
-food additives "dying" the shrimp.
-possibly photo reactive pigmentation (they were kept in a dark room in the shop I bought them, initially they had no color and where there is pigment now there was nothing, possibly some white patterns turned darker) much like they got a tan from being exposed to light.

https://youtu.be/XfVP2RwXRok

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1474949923694.jpg
    1474949923694.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 143
He is doing fine. He has lots of energy, eats fine. Where all of the other shrimp have brown spots he has blue.

Back
Top Bottom