Gold inca snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Interloper

Aquarium Advice Regular
From what I have been reading its a fancy name for an apple snail...

Anyways my research on google has been conflicting about weather or not they are gonna eat my plants or not...

Are my plants safe? Heh

Found one on the stem of a plant when I got home from work but now he left it alone...

I've never heard of a gold inca snail.. Give a pic so we can ID it.

If you keep an apple snail well fed, chances are they'll leave your plants 100% alone.

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-incasnail.htm

It's those guys...I should have made the subject apple snail heh...

I picked up 3 yesterday for my 38g at petco since it seems every close lfs was out and has been for some time...just haven't bothered to ask them to order some heh...

I wanted ramshorn but if these little guys will act the same I will keep them...

Also do snails have much of a bioload?

Interloper said:
http://www.fishlore.com/profile-incasnail.htm

It's those guys...I should have made the subject apple snail heh...

I picked up 3 yesterday for my 38g at petco since it seems every close lfs was out and has been for some time...just haven't bothered to ask them to order some heh...

I wanted ramshorn but if these little guys will act the same I will keep them...

Also do snails have much of a bioload?

It looks and seems legit. They won't act the same as ramshorns. Rams are my personal favorite. They do have a bioload, and varies from species to species. Rams have much smaller bioloads than apple snails because they're significantly smaller.

Should I just watch and make sure they aren't eating my plants? Lol I'm like freakin out...If I come home from work one day and my plants are eaten I'm gonna cook me some escargot lol

Just playin heh

Interloper said:
Should I just watch and make sure they aren't eating my plants? Lol I'm like freakin out...If I come home from work one day and my plants are eaten I'm gonna cook me some escargot lol

Just playin heh

Lol! No you will be just fine.

Watch your plants. Golden Inca snail is the name given to more than 1 species. Pomacea canaliculata are apple snails that will eat your plants. Pomacea diffusa and P. bridgesii generally do not. If they are starving, they might. I don't remember the differences off the top of my head, but you can google the species to be able to tell the difference between the species. :)

Good to know ill research the different ones...and keep an eye out...if they are going for my plants will the leaves have like holes in them prolly? Have Odessa barbs and angels so from what I know the only thing that will eat them are/would be the snails heh

i think you will be fine!! i have three adults one being like yours, and about a million babies and they havent bothered my plants at all. the cruise over them alot but they all are in tact and look good:) good luck and if you want any more snails give me a holler!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom