Golden apple snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i recenly got 3 golden apple snailt to feed to my electric blue crayfish

It turned out he didnt have a taste for them so they have been in the tank for 2 weeks

This morning i found this

I took it out of the tank to examine it

Is this a juvenile apple snail or is this something that got into my tank

And this is a planted aquarium

Will these snail damage my vegetation?

Should i remove the snails or what?

Attachments

• image-3044795204.jpg
    image-3044795204.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 95
Looks like an assassin snail. But can't tell for sure. Could you try to get a closer picture

Pond snail maybe. Cant tell, the pic is too far and blurry. If it is a pond snail they eat plants but only unhealthy ones. If you have good healthy plants u should be good.

Here is one of mine from my planted bowl. Does it look like the one from your tank?

Attachments

• image-433226338.jpg
    image-433226338.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 79
99.9% sure that it is a common pond snail. What did you think it was?

Yes the one in the picture looks like what I have

The reason I was wondering is because I thought my golden apples were breeding because I did notice some yellowish spots on the juvenile

But would either of these cause any harm to my tank or plants?

I will try to findable a better picture though

And how the heck would a pond snail get in my tank???

I mean I did add a Pleco but thy was almost a month ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Could of gotten in there through plants or anything really. They can blend in with the gravel depending on the color very well. So he could of been in your tank for a while. They will only eat unhealthy plants so you should be good if your plants are healthy. I would take him out though because they can quickly take over a tank.

Alright.

But should I be taking out my golden apples soon?

I am actually moving my crayfish to a new 10 gal today so should I take them out of my planted 25???

The golden apple snail eggs take about 2-4 weeks for hatching, depending on temperature and humidity. Putting the eggs in the water will cause them to drown and not giving them enough humidity will cause the eggs to dry out.

Back
Top Bottom