Golden Bee Shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It took all day and so many water changes and soooo many pH tests, but I got the acclimation water and the 12G tank water to this
60074-albums14809-picture72534.jpg

Thes guys have been doing very well. Healthy looking and have a couple berried shrimp. One looks like pretty soon, one just berried and one looks like you can see the little eggs pretty well.

I added a few pieces of Hornwort to the tank way back, to help provide cover and nesting material for the Pencilfish. Had to take a huge glob out a month+ ago.

Then a couple days ago realized since reducing lighting in the tanks overall, plus forgetting to turn their light on one day til basically lights out time, the Hornwort started melting.

I did a panicked emergency ~3G water change in the middle of the night, vac'ing out a ton of loose plant "leaf" parts in 3 rounds. The fine leaves blocked the vac suction grate pretty fast.

The shrimp were all over them and seemed unfazed from the plant melt or large % of pwc. That was really positive.

Treated for 3 days with extra Prime and maybe just caught it in time from devastating the water parameters.

Water is crisp and clear.

Thinking of adding some Balansae Crypts if I find some. For the back of the tank which is clear glass with no plants covering it. Almost bought some backing today.

There are just 3 types of Crypts in there now, no other rooted plants. Some Anubias micro floating around.

Saved the Hornwort in a bucket to make sure there weren't any shrimplets lost, or snails. Found a couple snails, no shrimp after the first day check. Need to look again.

In a place of indecision atm. I finally got a white 12G Edge tank to replace this tank set up. The original actual tank is in solid shape but I bought the present one used appx 8 years ago, and it had / has 2 tiny chips. They don't have any problems.

But since I wanted to change this tank to white a couple years back, because the stand I am using is white. When I had it on a different stand or table earlier it coordinated.

So I now have the new 12G Edge in white to match the stand (Last month it arrive cracked). Replacement order arrived June 15.

The dilemma is to keep 2 12G Edge tanks for awhile or not. I love the set up as it is presently. So tending toward moving the PRL shrimp to the new tank and keeping them both shrimp tanks for awhile.

Golden Bees in black tank move to a new location... white stand stays put.

PRL shrimp probably going into the new white tank as so no accidental mixing Caridina issues.

Side note on the Golden Bees - many look like Red Bolts. Which I like too and wanted!

There are a handful which are really nice white, cream, golden and sunset peachypink (which I love!) and wondering about trying to catch them and keeping separately.

Red Bolts maybe adding them to a nano fish keeping tank increase Red Bolts and increase Goldens without red patterns.

Last edited:
Thinking I saw 2 berried shrimp. Will be removing some Hornwort and replacing with a different not as much of a nuisance stem plant floating around the top.

Added a bunch of plants from the PRL tank, 3 "big" Micro Anubias plants appx. 3-4 inches, stems of it. Java Fern babies, plants, and a couple others a small Flamingo Crypt.

In thinking about all the possible tank changes needed in the future, I think the Golden Bees will need to move to a different tank. At this point there will need to be a number of fish moves before that can happen though.

Will make sure to mention if there end up with babies in the future.

The process is chugging along.

One step closer to getting these moved.

This step is deciding about the grade of shrimp I want, and dividing some of these into the new mixed Bee build tank.

Here are some of the variety

60074-albums14809-picture72697.jpg

60074-albums14809-picture72699.jpg

60074-albums14809-picture72698.jpg

60074-albums14809-picture72701.jpg

60074-albums14809-picture72702.jpg

60074-albums14809-picture72703.jpg

Close up - sorry about the water spots
60074-albums14809-picture72705.jpg

Closer up pic blacket out back to give the shrimp a more focused view
60074-albums14809-picture72704.jpg

The reason I wanted these thrimp were because of these orange-y sunset colored ones, mainly. And the interest of the Red Bolt colored ones (and breeding).
60074-albums14809-picture72631.jpg

So out of the ~40 shrimp,
I have a good number of the blushed Red Bolts. YAY
Several high quality white looking GB
A big scoop of strange ones some like in the pictures prior.
A handful of the Orange-y ones I wanted.

These shrimp can be kept with the other Bee shrimp I am getting, I am feeling that only the odd ball genes to see what we get.

There will be some additional reading about these guys and how they breed with other bees.

Awesome chart is here to see them
https://www.deviantart.com/rah-bop/art/Caridina-cantonensis-family-tree-369067539

Black King Kong and Golden Bees can make Shadow Panda so this is how I get a bit confused how some kinds can be together and some not, lol.

The ones I am getting Shadow Panda, Wine Red and Extreme Blue bolts are supposed to be fine and not cross with each other. But throwing some Red Bolts in should be fine and they are opposite of BB and shouldn't cross...

:eek: :Eek: or ????? Mad scientist here...

Back
Top Bottom