Green Stuff On Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fox1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone please tell me what this green stuff is behind the eyes of my ghost shrimp. I have 4 ghost shrimp and none of the other ones have them.

Attachments

• IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 194
That's his stomach. He ate something green by the looks of it, algae or something likely.

Well I think they turned into eggs because that green in the stomach disappeared and there were green eggs, not a lot but some underneath those legs they use to swim. The eggs did not last long because their gone now.

Well I think they turned into eggs because that green in the stomach disappeared and there were green eggs, not a lot but some underneath those legs they use to swim. The eggs did not last long because their gone now.

Ahh yes, that could have been a saddle, why didn't I think of that, and I call myself a shrimp expert (ghost shrimp isn't what I usually keep, but they are the same in anatomy)
So your shrimp was female and that was its ovaries.

Wow that's cool, what happened to the eggs, she didn't produce that many and they were gone rather quickly, within 3-4 days?

Wow that's cool, what happened to the eggs, she didn't produce that many and they were gone rather quickly, within 3-4 days?

Not sure in ghost shrimp. With the species I keep such as cherry shrimp, the saddle is there showing that there is eggs in the ovaries, then after fertilization they are under the swimmer legs as eggs until they hatch.

I think ghost shrimp have a larval stage, I'm also unsure of how long they hold their eggs for, if you check out Planetinverts you might find some better information on them.

There are lots of varieties of what are called Ghost Shrimp. Some are kinds of Neo shrimp and will produce babies, but most will need brakish water for the larval stage to develop.

Generally when they have a sharp angle on their back/top of the abdomen, they have a larval stage. Like yours.

The eggs will be food for them and other fish.

My shrimp has had eggs for a few weeks and has been flapping her legs around quite a bit. Any idea what is happening and if or when she may drop eggs?
af6b7e2f0d2d530315a7d6f623228b65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

She is using her swimmerettes to fan them, keep them clean.

The little egg guys could get dropped, new momma shrimp often lose some of the eggs as they move them around. Or if there is stress.

You will likely be able to see the little shrimp develop and even see their eyes. They will be born but not be able to like likely will be eaten before they die from not being ing the correct water parameters for the larval stage development.

Back
Top Bottom