Hello everyone. I've been struggling with shrimp parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dianap

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I have started a shrimp tank of neo caridinas and caradinas about 2 1/2 months ago. Water parameters are perfect NO 2 and 3 perfect, ph at 7.0, kh at 80 and my gh is a little high at 120. But I'm trying to get it down using ro water. I have an aerator along the back of the tank making bubbles come up the glass and I use a small over hang filter with a sponge around the suction. It's a 10 gal. Has many live plants.

Once my tank was cycled my shrimp seemed happy, then all of a sudden as I was watching them they would drop dead from the top of the water float upsidedown and land to their death. They still lived for a while only moving legs and/or doing some last jerks. I added a cuttlefish bone for calcium in case it was a molting problem. But now I have found some little while worms on my glass when I turn the lights on. NOT many worms, but maybe 4 at a time. I've done all my research trying to figure out what they are but they are too small for me to see if they have arrow heads. I do have photos of them and videos and really need some help as I'm losing 2-4 shrimps per day. But I'm new here and hope I did the upload thing right. Also dont have a heater, temp is around 71 degrees. I feed the snowflake shrimp food, I also have ramshorns and trumpet snails in the tank with the shrimps. Any help would be a shrimp saviour lol. The last photo is the best one of these worms. I will try to get a better one by leaving the lights off till late tonight as I see them way more on the glass when the lights are off and as soon I turn the lights on, they go back into the substrate.

Attachments

• 20211213_172325.jpg
    20211213_172325.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211213_172316.jpg
    20211213_172316.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211213_172651.jpg
    20211213_172651.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Need help identifying parasites/worms in shrimp tank Please

Hello, new to the site and I'm in desperate need of some help trying g to figure out what there parasites/worms are, so I can go about treating them beofre I loose more of my shrimps.
It's a 10 gal, jas news and cherry shrimps in it woth some trumpet snails and some ramshorn snails. Rank is over 2 months old. I use a small hang off filter with a sponge to cover the intake. I also have a small bubble wall going across the back glass that the shrimp seem to enjoy riding up the bubbles and taking of doing a dive in the direction they want to go. I do not have a heater in the tank it runs around 70. I have black regular gravel and I also put in a cuttlefish bike peice for calcium. I feed then snowflake shrimp food and floral shrimp granules once in a while. My water perimeters are all good with no2,no3, perfect. My kh us at qrpund 140 and my gh is the thing that si high, UT is about 150 on a api 5 in 1 test strip. I have been doing some water changes and putting g some ro water in to get the gh down. My problem is that i often catch my shrimps falling upside from the top of the water. They land on there backs and are alive for a while with just leg movement and then they die. Sometimes they will give a good twitch or 2 and then they are finished. I've tried giving the sick ones salt baths but i think it's to late for that. I have had some shrimps do really go from the start and I do have different sized babies that seem to be doing fine. I also forgot to mention that my tank is well planted. Recently I have notticed that there are small worms on my glass ONLY whe the lights are off and as soon as I turn the lights on the hurry to the bottom. They are not very big and it's hard for em to see if they have a arrow head. They are approx 3mm. I dod however get some decent photos of them today, that maybe a experienced shrimp keeper would he able to identify as to me they look like the good the bad and the evil worms that can get into your tank. I would appreciate any input whatsoever as I am looking like 2 shrimps a day and dont know what to do next and or how to treat there's parasities/worms properly if they are even dangerous to ky tank. Thanks

Attachments

• 20211214_161239.jpg
    20211214_161239.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211214_161236.jpg
    20211214_161236.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211214_161202.jpg
    20211214_161202.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom