HELP broken snail shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AprilMDEE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was cleaning the gravel in my aquarium with the worst tool ever! Its the gravel cleaner with the tube you have to pump up and down to gain suction and when doing this I broke my nitrite snails shell pretty bad. I can't tell if his body is exposed or not. its from the side to the back almost. I feel awful!! I've had this little guy for about a year and he has been doing so good and now I've done this. Please any advice is greatly appreciated! I've called local 911 vets and they kind of laugh and dismiss me. 1. how can I tell if his body is exposed and 2. how can I fix it so he doesn't die or suffer! I've attached a picture. I hope you can see it. This is my first time posting so I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Attachments

• 20210429_215030.jpg
    20210429_215030.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210429_222648.jpg
    20210429_222648.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I can't really see from the picture, any chance you can try taking him out of the tank or taking another photo?
Try not to worry.

Hello! Thank you for replying. I do worry a lot. I tried to remove him but he was stuck to the side of the aquarium and I didn't want to hurt him any more than I already had. I did see the other nitrite snails on top of his shell so I removed them and placed them in another tank until I can figure this all out. He was crawling around eating this morning but when I went back to check on him I can't find him. He is pretty big for a nitrite snail. The only place he may be inside the house I have inside the tank. I didn't want to disrupt him but will be moving the house if he doesn't come out just to make sure he is okay and not stuck..Its pretty bad. I really did a number on the poor baby!! His shell is pretty tough. I have added a little extra calcium (not too much) I have tetras so I have to be careful.

I think the main thing is lot's of calcium like your doing, certain foods spinach,kale hikari crab cuisine also contain calcium so should help as well. I wouldn't worry to much about your other nerites they won't harm him.

So I can't can't find him. You think I should leave it be and see when he comes out? I will definitely go to the store and buy some veggies for him. I usually just feed them a snail food I purchsed off of a snail breeder and then the wafers as well. Thank you for the advice!

I'd leave him, don't want to stress him out. Hopefully lots of calcium can help.

Back
Top Bottom