Help me identify this snail stowaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vidaeus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've spotted a snail in my freshwater tank that I think has come from some recent plants I've added. I think there's only one but can't be sure. It's about 2-3mm in diameter (1/16" to 1/8")

I'm unsure of what it is and am hoping someone can help identify it for me and if it's a pest? Should I be concerned about infestations or anything else?

XCS5r4w

8oEOkhJ

Photo 1
Photo 2

Either a baby ramshorn or an adult mini ramshorn. I have the mini ramshorns and while they don’t overpopulate if you control feeding and are quite beneficial to the ecosystem I’ve decided after a couple years that I just don’t like the look of them in my tanks. I like snails but I don’t like ones that can become a plague if I overfeed for a few days.

Personally I’d get it out or squish it because, (as I said in my other thread). I’m definitely over them!

But they are not harmful, and as long as you don’t overfeed they can contribute to the ecosystem by eating algae and leftover foods.

Personal preference but considered a “pest” snail by some due to how hard they are to get rid of once you have them.

I agree.
Possibly baby ramshorn.
Hard to tell for certain from the pics..
I absolutely adore my ramshorns that I ended up with the exact same way.. on plants.
But they havent blown out of control AT ALL!! I do not over feed and I keep the tank clean and havent had any additional ramshorns..
If you like it, then keep it!!
They're not nearly as bad as bladder or pond snails!!
Like I said, I still only have the original 2 and it's been almost 8 months since I got them. They did grow quite alot bigger than I thought they would, but I like them!! So they get the same treatment as my mystery snails do! :)

Definitely a ramshorn I keep mine I just don't overfeed or the population will explode.

Great, thank you all for the help. I think I'll just keep them in there and see what happens. I won't add any more food than I would normally feed the rest of the fishes and just keep an eye on things.

Actually, I've spotted another type of snail in there too if you guys could help ID this one? Funnily enough around the same spot on the heater.

Photo 1
Photo 2

Definitely thinking it is a bladder snail.
Keep an eye out for little clear blobs with little white dots inside.. those are bladder snails eggs and I remove mine because they overpopulate soooo quickly.
Any that get passed me, I do keep in their own tanks. But in my main tank, I try to get rid of eggs and keep them out...
So beware!! I like ALL of my snails.
Even the 'pests' bladder, pond, ramshorn and Malaysian teumpets.
The ONLY one to ever get out of control is bladder snails... in MY TANK. I know everyone is different. But those little buggers can live on NOTHING. I swear! It's crazy!! I am constantly removing eggs every day. And moving atleast 5-10 to the snail tank every day as well..
And always bladder. My ramshorn, and Malaysian trumpets have yet to go 'out of control' like the bladder snails and I've had all for about a year or two..
So just be careful lol.
Hopefully you can remove the one and hopefully not have any more!! (In my opinion)

Or keep a tank or jar just for the snails like I do. :)
I only get rid of eggs. I dont have the heart to kill or 'get rid of' full grown or even mostly grown snails of any kind!
But, if you are able, I would steer clear of bladder snails.
The ramshorn will probably be ok as long as your not over feeding. But bladder snails can live without any actual fish food (ime)
All depends on what YOU want in your tank! :)

OK thanks again for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for eggs and remove the bladder snails as I find them.

I have an outdoor water feature/pond that I can dump them in to keep them out of my tropical tank. The outdoor water feature has some goldfish in it. Is that a bad idea? I don't care if they overpopulate in there, more concerned if it's a danger to the goldfish if they eat them?

Back
Top Bottom