Help to ID snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SinnerSpook

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hoping someone can help me identify these snails who suddenly appeared.

I had (have) one Nerite adult (over a year old) ... a 2nd one passed months ago. No new plants recently... and yet this!?!

Cannot figure it out.... at first I assumed they were Nerite but they're not really looking like I'd expect them to, as they're growing.

So, before I start going crazy with removing them- I am hoping to figure out what they actually ARE... if Nerite, I will set up my old 10 gallon again and just move them. If they're a pest that somehow found the way in - they won't get so lucky... ?

Please help!? Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 20220319_155147.jpg
    20220319_155147.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220315_145747.jpg
    20220315_145747.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220319_155214.jpg
    20220319_155214.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 20
Im going to stick my neck out and say a pond snail. Or possibly a bladder snail. Maybe a closer photo would help.

Anyway 100% not a nerite snail. Wrong shape of everything and their eggs only hatch in brackish water. So unless yours is a brackish water tank there is 0 chance of nerite snails reproducing in your tank (although if you have a male and female you will still get eggs being laid).

Your snails probably got in on a plant or something. Have you recently added anything into your tank that may have come out of a tank that had pest snails in it?

I was afraid of that!

I did try to get closer pics but it is just impossible... They're still very tiny and I can't seem to get them in focus any better.

That is the weird thing... absolutely nothing new in my tank for months prior to them showing up. I want to say around 4 months. I'm at a total loss in figuring it out.

I had an infestation of snails once before - but that was via a new plant and in my early aquarium days where I didn't know better (to soak). But, those snails looked very different than these do... which in part is why I was concerned and confused.

Well, I guess I will skip setting up my other tank ....and just kill these off as I can manage to get them out. .. and hope that it works as well as I managed last time..lol (It took me a few months but I did finally get them all out of my main tank last time... however - like I said - these are clearly not the same type of snail as that was.)

Thanks for the help and wish me luck!?

The pond snails seem to have wide base tentacle like a v - right turn shell.

Bladder snails tentacle seem to be thin to the body. Left turn shell.

Back
Top Bottom