Hitchhiker snail identification please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sereya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I put new plants in my cycling tank, the next day I found this guy. Any idea what kind and if he will survive the cycle? I have a sand substrate, as you can see he is barely bigger than a grain of the sand.

Attachments

• IMG_20150322_081901.jpg
    IMG_20150322_081901.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 92
Oh I've already looked them up and want a population of them! This guy was just to tiny for me to trust my identification of him! So he does look like one?

That's my guess based on that image.

These things get out of control! Serious pests!

Good for turning over substrate though, but they mainly eat and breed in the top layers, once established they easily proliferate as they (eggs, young) are protected by the substrate, soon you will be overrun, it is my number one not to have snail!
They look nice though and can serve some good functions but they always get out of hand.

Once the substrate looks like it's boiling (over populated with snails) pretty much the only way to deal with it is a complete tear down. Even snail eaters have trouble keeping on top of these.

(Based on my experience with them, other views may vary)

Regular snails are easier to control as there are several tricks that work on them but these guys don't seem to fall for the same catch methods.

If it came in on plants, it is most likely is a pest.

Back
Top Bottom