How long will a ghost shrimp carry unfertilized eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squiffy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I swear my ghost shrimp has been carrying green eggs around for almost a month now. The 2 makes i have don't seem to want to fertilize them, or maybe she won't let them, i don't know. I'll try to get a picture when she comes out from hiding.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Blurry, but you can see they are still green. Although my husband says I'm colorblind so maybe I'm wrong?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414286131447.jpg
    1414286131447.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 210
  • 1414286142484.jpg
    1414286142484.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 304
Female shrimp don't carry unfertilized eggs. Their eggs don't mature until they have mated. The eggs will grow larger and eventually drop below the belly, down the swimmerets, until they look like beads on strings. Then they'll be dropped off. Chances of having any turn into shrimp isn't especially high, but it's possible. They will first become larvae, so small you can't see them. They morph into little shrimp in approx. 4 days, depending on temperature, if they survive long enough. Fish eat them, and the mother shrimp will eat the baby shrimp as well, if they catch them. If you really want to have some grow up, best to have a separate tank, and remove females after the eggs drop off.

Those girl's eggs look about half way, maybe two thirds along to being ready to drop.

Back
Top Bottom