How many snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtoZ Cichlids

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many snails is too many snails for a 29 gallon aquarium that doesnt get any algea? Specificaly mysteries.

Depends on how many fish you have or other critters, but one rule of thumb I've seen is no more than one per gallon of water, assuming they're near or at adult size.

You must account for the tank space taken by substrate and decor, etc., so you don't actually have 29 gallons, unless the tank is bare.

I got ten very young ones, quarter inch or so size. I put them in with my floating frogs, which have about an 8 G tank, which is never kept full, the frogs need floating plants and have about 3 inches of air at the top.

The snails are now about a half inch across. There's a small power filter and so far, water quality has been fine. There are few dwarf cories and a couple of little shrimp in this tank, as well as a few ramshorns and a couple of Nerites. Everybody seems to be doing fine, but once the snails have grown larger I will have to take some of them out.

There isn't any algae at all in this tank either. Not a speck. I feed them a few very tiny, that's .5 or 1 mm size sinking algae pellets, sinking omnivore pellets and a few microworms for the cories. I keep a small vacation feeder block in the tank which has some spirulina in it, which the snails eat fairly quickly. Helps make sure they have plenty of calcium.

Of the original ten young mystery snails, I have lost only one, and while I don't know why, sometimes you do lose a critter for reasons that are not clear. That was awhile back, the remaining 9 snails are fine and growing well.

Back
Top Bottom