how to get rid of snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so my 10 gallon tank is full of pond snails the tank has 3 amano shrimp, 5 orange shrimp and about 5 baby shrimp. i used to have assassin snails in the tank and they pretty much got rid of the snails but they also killed alot of my shrimp

I have the same problem, but avoided buying assassin snails because I was afraid they'd easy my shrimps and you confirmed my fears.

Have you tried the cucumber trick? (I'm going to do it today)

I've read about many fish against snails but they all seem to have shrimp on the menu too...

If your snail population has exploded it is because you have been generous with the chow. I know I love to feed my crew.

Cucumber or soft lettuce leaves will draw them and make it possible to remove many at once. Put it in at bed time and remove it before lights on.

I know it sounds gross but crush them with your finger. Your fish and shrimp will eat them. You will have to physically remove them from your tank. Be diligent on removing edd masses too when you see them. I had assassin snails in all my breeder tanks. I'm pretty sure I had some in my shrimp tanks too but I can't say I ever noticed them attacking my shrimp. They were effective at keeping the snail populations at bay. Good luck to you! It can take a while to remove the from your tank but it can be done. I have used snail traps too and other foods they like. Let them collect and then gather them and toss them outside or in the trash. I had friends who ha chichlids who often would take my cursed snails and they would feed them to the fish. Also, remove all decorations from your tank and let them dry out for a day or two. It also helps kill the eggs that might be laid on them.

I bought a turkey baster and cut the end tip a little bit so it was large enough for bigger pond snails . I then suck them up whenever i see one.... You'll never eradicate them all this way.. NEVER unless you gut the tank and bleach all the decors etc... BUT you will get them under control and they won't be an eye sore

I also crush them and let the tank eat them.

All snail eating fish options are also aggressive against shrimps so your options are limited

a snail explosion usually means more cleaning is necessary because there is penty of food laying around in the form of left over food and fish waste etc..

Back
Top Bottom