How true Bloody Mary breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I searched and found all old articles (2014-2015) where keepers claim they don't breed true and its like 70 percent are culls. I seen pictures of offsprings and they were orangish or pale red or like even clear with red veins like colours.

But in those articles i read them talking about that the BM line may improve in future by breeders. So its 2018 and anyone of you keeping them how they breed now? Culling percentage is still high or minimal? Please share your experience. Thanks.

Also if BM breed with chocolate shrimps will the offspring is wild type or red? I read that BM is selective breeding between chocolate and a cherry. Not sure how true this claim is.

In short I have blue dreams, chocolates and bloody mary in same tank. I don't want to have wild type neos. I thought to keep only bloody mary because they look awesome but want to know if they breed true. Also not sure if chocolates are a safe option to keep with them.

Mixing neo hybrids is never a good idea if you are trying to improve or maintain a particular color line. Otherwise there is no guarantee that cross breeding will occur. Be prepared to keep a cull tank to remove the shrimp with colors you don’t want to propagate.
I’m keeping low/medium grade RCS and neon yellows in the same tank (20g long). They are separated by a pair of 2” foam “walls”.

Mixing neo hybrids is never a good idea if you are trying to improve or maintain a particular color line. Otherwise there is no guarantee that cross breeding will occur. Be prepared to keep a cull tank to remove the shrimp with colors you don’t want to propagate.
I’m keeping low/medium grade RCS and neon yellows in the same tank (20g long). They are separated by a pair of 2” foam “walls”.
Thanks yes i re homed blues and orange and browns. Now have only Bloody mary but don't know if they breed true like offsprings will have dark red color like there parents or no

Can't say as I actually know the answer for the question, but have heard the same basic information that moderate culling is necessary to keep the most attractive colors for breeding out.

That fact is why I decided not to keep them. (Do not want to be culling shrimp atm, and don't want the specially bred colors turning neutral from crossing) I love their jewel color.

Like with so many of the color morphs, they eventually get a decent stabilization in the line.

Can't say as I actually know the answer for the question, but have heard the same basic information that moderate culling is necessary to keep the most attractive colors for breeding out.

That fact is why I decided not to keep them. (Do not want to be culling shrimp atm, and don't want the specially bred colors turning neutral from crossing) I love their jewel color.

Like with so many of the color morphs, they eventually get a decent stabilization in the line.
Thanks a lot. Yes i re homed all other neo kinds like blue and brown and orange and now they can't crossbreed. Still i read they don't breed true. Will see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom