I Keel Losing Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xstream

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have an established 10g tank that had four Ghost Shrimp, 2 Otos, and 2 Platys. A month ago (or so) I bought an AC30 power filter. I did use the filter media from my older filter until last night so that I could seed the new filter.

The first week I lost one GS to the filter intake, the following week I had another caught in the intake but he was alive (I was able to save him), the next day my large female was dead, and this week while vacuuming I found another male dead....

I don't know what is happening. All of my parameters are good. 0s across the board except nitrates which are around 10-20 ppm normally. pH is high, but always has been.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long have you had the shrimp ? They have relatively short life spans, certainly less than two years, some not much better than a year or 18 months. Yours may simply have been old.

That could have been the case. We bought most of them about the same time. There is one left and he is the smallest male.

I need to pick up some new ones. I like having a clean up crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can breed them with a bit of effort. A 5 g tank is all you need to raise a few broods. Slow sponge filter and it should,have leaf litter, mosses also, for the baby shrimp to feed on.
They morph into shrimplets ,from larvae in 4-5 days. Feeding is a bit iffy, but microworms work,for,morphed ones, and liquid phyto works,for,larvae. Sorry for all the commas, not used to one finger,typing on iPad. Keep temp steady, about 72-76 F.

Put females in tank when eggs have descended really,low, remove after eggs are dropped.

Back
Top Bottom