ID my snail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishables

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I had this snail randomly appear in the tank, it’s growing at quite a fast pace too. What kind of snail is it?

Attachments

• 3CEF6525-33A7-4B78-983D-CF0D357DB7BC.jpg
    3CEF6525-33A7-4B78-983D-CF0D357DB7BC.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 53
Bladder snail.

I like them they are good eaters of dead plant material and help keep glass on a tank clean. Can have spots which look cool too.

That said, many people find them a curse. Not me.

Not to offend lovers of all life, but they can be squished and fed to bottom feeders, and meat enjoying fish. A way to keep the circle of life going.

Loaches will often eat unwanted snails as well, no useful, circle of life/ barbaric squishing required.

Usually if you have harder water and over feed they will over breed. They breed based on food availability - more food, stronger healthier snails, more breeding, more snails.

They can get larger, maybe half inch or so possibly. In my pond I had a couple larger ones, half inch usually, one made it to 3/4-1 inch.

Do you like it?

Not disagreeing with Autumn just adding to her info, it could also be a pond snail as unless you inspect it for shell turning & antenna shape they are quite similar and see often mistaken for each other
20190304_121906.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't imagine how happy I was to find these pics [emoji3]
Just wish I could get snails that looked as pretty as the Pond in the pic

Back
Top Bottom