Introducing Crabs to Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dannyee5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've been researching vampire crabs and planed on getting them. Awhile back to add to my 36 gallon bow front tank at the time it was filled with a year old blue ram cichlid and a year old Juli Cory cat.
About a month or two back I added in a baby skunk Cory cat. Saying baby I mean little enough to sell at pet store didn't not acquire these through pet store ,
I also added in what appeared to be a adult panda Corey cat & 3 hatchet fish they were little guys when I got them but since then have grown a bit and established the Dominance in the tank as my cichlid prefers to bottom feed.

My tank is yet up with two Pieces of drift wood under the water recently after cleaning one of my logs wanted to float and is now anchored down by the big one before filling my tank my girlfriend purchased a under water habitat for crabs,

that seemed big enough at the time and with what I read on sights for a vampire crab. To explain what the habitat is basically plastic that makes a bubble of air that is constantly getting more air from the air pump. It is filled with sand you can see the exact one I have here crab homes .

There is also a video on the main page of how they work and a new one that's bigger coming out. Now my problem is I finally jumped the gun to spend $70 in total on two crabs I fell in love with for the colors and then actually being a real non blackish water crab. Well I didn't get what I wanted at first as the store only had one vampire and one red devil which I saw on multiple sites.

was also the vampire crab. But after paying I was told the red devil was out of stock till later in the week and they would send them then. I'm going through Elite inverts have anyone every gone through them? I couldn't find much. But after buying them my excitement for the crabs came back it was a dream come true.

I started looking them up again refreshing my knowledge on what they are like and how to care for them to the fullest and now I'm seeing less of the sites I seen before and more of ones saying they need a lot of land and some salt in the water. Are they even gonna be friendly to the fish?

What I saw before was the vampire was friendly to fish but now seeing how misguided I was a year and some change ago. I just gotta know from someone. How are they?

If I have to make something for them I'm finding with that I just need to know how to properly take care of them from someone who's done it with some hands on time with them. Any body try a set up like I'm trying before with any crab? It's Tuesday may 3 I'm assuming I won't have these crabs till Saturday or Monday. So until then all advice is really wanted

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep red claw crabs and 1 vampire crab, as well as fiddler crabs in the past. The vampire crab spends 90% of its time on land, and they need pure freshwater. No salt. Also, it is with a large variety of fish that it has never tried to hurt. They're really cool pets, but just make sure that they can't climb out of the tank.

I keep red claw crabs and 1 vampire crab, as well as fiddler crabs in the past. The vampire crab spends 90% of its time on land, and they need pure freshwater. No salt. Also, it is with a large variety of fish that it has never tried to hurt. They're really cool pets, but just make sure that they can't climb out of the tank.

Thanks for the reply. My crabs are supposed to come in tommorow. ls apricate if you can tell me if they look healthy. But I have some live crickets for them. I'm glad to know that they won't mess with the fish and them being on land I'm good with I'll post a picture of there current set up

Yes, on the mobile app (I assume this would be the case?), tap the picture album icon with the mountain and sun.

I didn't even know there was an app for this web site lol. But here is my set up.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462879552.858282.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462879563.160806.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462879571.726696.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462879580.709490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462901380.816981.jpg

While introducing them to the water the red devil I'm assuming asserted its dominance And decided to rip off the vamps arm. More pics to come once inside of there tank.

Crabs ripping off a limb from another crab isn't rare. My red claws do it to each other. Sometimes it can mean that they are hungry, though.

That is a very small amount of land for a vamp. They are basically terrestrial animals that hang out by rivers in Indonesia, and your set up is predominately water. Although the air bubble is super cool, it is not natural. I'm curious to know how your crabs take to it.

Back
Top Bottom