Japanese shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told when I brought two of these that I don't need to feed them in a mature tank, I have hair grass algae so assumed that would sustain them anyway. Only the two I had are not there although to be fair they could just be hiding from the light and there are lots of plants. However I have lost both my endler guppies too. All 12 neon tetra and mollies and female guppy are fine. Infact the mollies keep breading. I do have one large slightly aggressive sail fin silver Molly. Could he have killed them?

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate fine as I expected and Molly births are still sustainable in my 150 litre tank for now.

Here is a great source of info for that shrimp:

Amano Shrimp .:. Caridina multidentata .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page

Under the feeding paragraph it states:

"It is recommended that the Amano Shrimp be fed like any other shrimp in the hobby. Using this species solely for the purpose of algae eating will not suffice in the long term for the shrimps health. These are rather large shrimp and require a good supply of food. They eat anything from blanched spinach, zucchini, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, fish flakes, bloodworms, and more. Feeding is best done once a day. Only feed an amount of food that the shrimp can finish within 2-3 hours maximum. It is not good to feed in excess and have food sitting for too long."

Thanks for the quick reply. Hate to say it but maybe my shrimp starved then. Annoying I was told no need to feed them. I didn't question it as in my other tank I have lots cherry shrimp always breeding and they are living on algae. I've had them for over a year.

fatfei said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Hate to say it but maybe my shrimp starved then. Annoying I was told no need to feed them. I didn't question it as in my other tank I have lots cherry shrimp always breeding and they are living on algae. I've had them for over a year.

RCS can live on algae + detritus. I have one in a 5g that I've never fed period and he is growing relatively quickly, molting regularly.

Amanos are larger and therefore need more food.

feed

RCS can live on algae + detritus. I have one in a 5g that I've never fed period and he is growing relatively quickly, molting regularly.

Amanos are larger and therefore need more food.

it is very possible for shrimp to sustain themselve in a tank without feed if the stocking densities are really low.

As for mollies attacking shrimp, they may have injured the shrimp usually during molts leading it to its death. But yamatos are very versatile and hungry they are like locust but under water. They have to be fed at one point or another.

shrimpbako said:
it is very possible for shrimp to sustain themselve in a tank without feed if the stocking densities are really low.

As for mollies attacking shrimp, they may have injured the shrimp usually during molts leading it to its death. But yamatos are very versatile and hungry they are like locust but under water. They have to be fed at one point or another.

That was my point lol. Thanks for backing me up :p

My Amano shrimp are very active, clean everything and are out in the open, meaning visible everyday. They may or may not jump when I turn the light on, but will even be out during the light on. I have seen them fight in a tug of war for a food pellet! They like the moss balls too.

I take it back, I've found both my shrimp alive and well. So happy a threw half a tetra wafer in for them. It was quite funny to see one of the shrimp grab it and carry it off and huddle it. Then a greedy tetra kept trying to grab it and it fell of the bogwood onto the sand and the shrimp started kicking its back legs at the tetra. Sad about my endler guppies though. Its strange I've lost 3 males in about 8 months with no sign of ilness they just dissapear but all the females do fine.

Autumnsky said:
My one and only male Endler also died for no apparent reason. The others have been fine.

Its annoying not to know why they died.

I take it back, I've found both my shrimp alive and well. So happy a threw half a tetra wafer in for them. It was quite funny to see one of the shrimp grab it and carry it off and huddle it. Then a greedy tetra kept trying to grab it and it fell of the bogwood onto the sand and the shrimp started kicking its back legs at the tetra. Sad about my endler guppies though. Its strange I've lost 3 males in about 8 months with no sign of ilness they just dissapear but all the females do fine.

Endler males are pretty small, could the Mollies have killed them ? Mollies are pretty pushy about food, were the Endlers able to get food ? Was the water testing out good ??

I too thought my Amano Shrimp had died, I knew at least 2 had molted and was worried my fish managed to kill them during the molts, but found all three of mine alive and well. :)

Coursair said:
Endler males are pretty small, could the Mollies have killed them ? Mollies are pretty pushy about food, were the Endlers able to get food ? Was the water testing out good ??

I too thought my Amano Shrimp had died, I knew at least 2 had molted and was worried my fish managed to kill them during the molts, but found all three of mine alive and well. :)

They were getting food and the also had the algae they ate. He spent all his time chasing the female and I never saw the Molly attack him. I suppose its a possibility but then the tetra are not much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom