Jardini River Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxiwilliams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys,
was just interested to know if Jardini river shrimp would be compatible with my sterbai cories? I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 sterbai cories in it currently! thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you sure of the name on those shrimp ? I have never heard of Jardini River shrimp, and there isn't any online reference to them I can find, which is unusual. Most shrimp available in the pet trade are at least named online, even if the info is sketchy.

Got a pic of the shrimp, by any chance ? Fwiw, most cories are ok with larger shrimp, but are likely to prey on newborns.

thankyou for replying haha I've been waiting for so long! yes I could find them either but I took a picture...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412674154.360074.jpg

How large are they ? The bend in the back leads me to suspect they are some type of caridina species, and there are dozens of caridina species.

It also looks yellow to me. Is that correct, or is it just the picture ?

It is only an educated guess, but I think it may be one of the Caridina species. There are quite a few of them, with varying sizes and colours.

Unless you could get both sexes and have them breed, there's no way to know if they are 'high order', that is, able to have babies like themselves, or whether they are 'low order', meaning they have larvae instead, which live for varying lengths of time before they morph into shrimp shaped like their parents.

If they are low order, chances are very high that the larvae will need salt water to survive. They will mate and females will get berried, that is, have eggs and the eggs will hatch in fresh water, but the resulting larvae will only live a few days at most, unless they get into salt water. In nature, they live in rivers that open to the oceans, and the larvae float out to sea. They live there for however long it takes them to change to adult form, then swim back to fresh water to live their lives.

Cherry shrimp [Neocaridina] Crystal & Bee shrimp, are examples of high order shrimp. Amano/Yamato shrimp, American Ghost shrimp, Whisker & Sunkist shrimp, are examples of low order species. Of these, only the American Ghost has a life cycle taking place entirely in fresh water, but it's not a Caridina. So if this is a Caradina species, I would think you are unlikely to get babies from them. Only way to find out would be to buy them and see what happens.

Since your cories are likely to prey only upon newborn shrimplets, if you want these shrimp, I see no reason not to get some. They should be ok with the cories. I have kept Cherry shrimp with cories of a few species and also with kuhli loaches, and they bred prolifically. I am sure some of the babies were eaten, but not enough to prevent the colony of shrimp from growing. Shrimp the size of this one won't be bothered by the cories unless they die, in which case they'd be eaten of course. Other shrimp will eat dead shrimp too, as will snails.

As for the name, it's possible it is the name of a river where they were caught, but in my opinion, it's about equally likely the name was made up. Ask the store if they have their shipping list from the supplier with the scientific name of the shrimp on it. The scientific name is much more likely to find you some specific information. Probably best to ask this sort of question on a quiet day, not at the store's busier times.

wow thankyou so much ??? you were really helpful

Back
Top Bottom