Juvenile Mystery Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliGee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this a juvenile mystery snail or just a big ramshorn? I bought a mystery snail from the LFS and he was in the bag as well. I've never seen another type of snail get this big. Do Ramshorns reproduce individually?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412357786.326328.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, it's a ramshorn snail, some people don't like them as they can breed quickly if you over feed but I like them, I have red and pink in both my tanks and think they do a great job cleaning leftovers and decaying plant matter.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's pretty common to get the small ramshorns or bladder snails along with other things from the LFS, because they hitchhike on plants and even on the shells of other snails. Ramshorns don't reproduce as quickly as bladder snails do, and personally I like them because they do keep the glass clean, don't eat plants and don't make a great deal of mess. Mystery snails, among my favourite snails, are amusing and attractive, but they are also rather messy, producing a fair bit of waste. Sort of like goldfish though not quite as bad as goldfish are.

Back
Top Bottom