Large Cherry Shrimp die-off after WC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank had a bit of evaporation so I drained out some water and did a drip WC with some new water. Everything was fine for ~24 hours, then every day for the past 6 days a FEMALE ADULT cherry shrimp has died of the White Ring of Death.

Not a single male or shrimplet has died, even though shrimplets usually molt much more. I have no idea what caused the die-off. The water parameters are not off-wack.

Ammonia is at 0 ppm
Nitrites are at 0 ppm
Nitrates are a bit higher than 20 ppm
No idea what the KH, GH, and TDS are, but I know they are a little high because of tap water in my area. Going to get a test kit for GH and KH soon.

This isn't the first time i have had to deal with the White Ring of Death, but the amount of deaths this time is heartbreaking. From a 12 shrimp colony to around 6.

Shrimp can have water that is too hard, too many minerals causing the shell to be thicker than ideal and the shrimp can't shed / get out of the molt. See if you can find out the GH/KH and TDS. I wouldnt recommend strip tests but if you can't get the water tested, then buy some smaller amount of test strips for testing that in tje mean time order/ buy the tests.

You can buy some distilled water from the store. A few gallons, or buy a 5G water tote often at a SW lfs and get RO/DI water and can add a appropriate % to get the water to better water parameters.

Or if your water is way off ideal parameters you can use RO and a remineralizer to create the correct parameters.
PH 7-7.6
GH 7-15
KH 2-8
TDS 180-400
This may be different based upon the breeder or source which you got the shrimp from.

That is hard. So sorry for your losses. I hope you can get this fixed.

Some have mentioned vitamin C, you might need to do some checking on what might work to also help, like a small piece of organic orange, or type of super fruit. Or other options.

Yes, I will get a kH and gH test kit, really need those. I feed my shrimp with a sort of homemade food. It contains spinach, egg, and flour. I'm pretty sure they get all of their nutrients from that. But any ideas as to why not a single male/shrimplet has died? Watching my tank now and there are like 4 males just running around.

Back
Top Bottom