Large Hole in Nerite Shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladynebula

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Large Hole in Tiger Nerite Shell Help!

Help!
I recently bought a little tiger nerite snail for my 5 gallon fish tank. I house three guppies and a albino pleco with some plants and rocks. I was moving around some rocks the day I brought him home and lost him in the tank. I was scared I dropped a rock on him! After that is when I noticed a little chip that had come off at the tip of the end of the shell making a little round hole. I thought well it will probably grow back. Then a week later a larger hole appeared. I started to get worried and looked up online forums, they said if his guts weren’t sticking out and he was active then try not to worry and give him a calcium supplement. He was moving around a lot and eating so I hoped for the best. Unfortunately my, pleco and snail won’t eat the veggies I put in the tank for them, I even tried blanching them. I think snail jello sounds like a hassle. But now today there is a third chip and I saw a little white tissue coming out earlier and although it doesn’t look good none of his guts are spilling out? I don’t know what to do at this point, I’ve taken out all rocks that I thought might be a danger to him (fall on him, get stuck in between etc) . I just don’t know what’s doing this? My pleco sometimes darts out of his hiding place and zooms under the rocks and plants to eat, sometimes this shifts the rocks around that’s the only thing I can think of as to why this is happening. At this point should I think about euthanasia? He’s not moving around as much today, kind of moving around in just a small area.
Tank is fully cycled reading PH around 7.2 ammonia is about 0.03 ppm and temp is at 74 degrees. It could probably use a water change (excuse the mess I removed a lot of rocks already) and I’m going to be putting down some white gravel substrate this week and reduce the amount of rocks I have in there for the snail (if he lives) What do you guys think?
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 7D74A3A3-B290-4115-BC1D-12120BF8AA31.jpg
    7D74A3A3-B290-4115-BC1D-12120BF8AA31.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 4AE545D2-C6D7-4997-A75A-5E75D9D02648.jpg
    4AE545D2-C6D7-4997-A75A-5E75D9D02648.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 1551ED36-F714-4828-B6D1-030F0C46370C.jpeg
    1551ED36-F714-4828-B6D1-030F0C46370C.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 09A9BC50-5272-4B8D-9A80-ECFAFE4F4C24.jpg
    09A9BC50-5272-4B8D-9A80-ECFAFE4F4C24.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 47
I would keep doing what your doing feeding calcium rich foods, maybe add calcium to the tank cuttlebone etc
I definitely wouldn't euthanize him, I have a 11year old nerite and his shell is worse no matter what I've tried for him nothing has worked, he still goes along doing his thing in my tank and his shell doesn't bother him. Just keep an eye on him.

As far as I know the shells will slowly grow and “heal”

My nerite has cracks and missing pieces from being knocked about by goldfish. He is very happy and very big. His shell did “grow back” but you can see and feel the damage. It won’t go back to having the same prettiness, and will most likely look pretty different

As long as they do not fall out and their trapdoor stays on and isn’t severely damaged, it should be ok

Thanks!

Ok Shelly! Thanks for the reminder about the cuttlebone, I’m going to try that since they’re not used to the veggies. He’s still in his same little corner today but still moving around so just gotta send him healing vibes! Hehe

Thanks again.

Ok thanks Elizae! I don’t care if he’s pretty or not, just want him to heal! I wasn’t sure if the hole was too big by now to repair (and I don’t feel confident super gluing a piece of sea shell to his back) but that’s good news knowing that he can repair a hole that big over time and be ok (I know it could take awhile)

Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom