marbled crayfish babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marty20

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my marbled crayfish has babies swimming around her in her tank. This was the second time she carried eggs and this time they actually lived to swim around. Ill keep everyone posted on the success rate of the babies. Anyone have tips to keep the success rate high? Was actually planning on getting rid of the crayfish shortly but I would like to see the babies grow

Got that already. I was feeding the mother / father some flakes and pellets as well as supplying her plenty of Java moss for her to snack on. Hopefully the babies will eat the same stuff. Its just the crayfish and babies in a 10 gallon tank

When the babies detach from the mothers tail by themselves, then you can have them in their own tank.

Sounds good. They are free swimming now. Ill keep the thread going to see how the do

Just a regular freshwater flake food. Aqueon makes it for color or whatever. I had it for my other tanks so I just threw some of that in from time to time

You need to feed them everyday. Aqueon food and tetra food are garbage. Get some Omega One fish food brand, they have the good nutrients and use real ingredients. Not fish meal.

ZHiTcH41 said:
You need to feed them everyday. Aqueon food and tetra food are garbage. Get some Omega One fish food brand, they have the good nutrients and use real ingredients. Not fish meal.

My crays fight for it lol

If you have the ability to separate them from mom, that would be a good idea. She may end up eating the babies. If you don't have any other tanks available for her, make sure the babies have plenty of hiding places.

I've read of other people putting the babies in a sump filter so that they can latch on to the sponges, which have plenty of food already on them.

Another idea would be to cut up some veggies like spinach into little pieces. Blanch the spinach first. But I also see no problem with the flake food for now. As a staple food though, algae wafers are a better idea.

Been using those too! But it appears like she is protecting the babies right now.

There are about 30 of them. And im not breeding them... its a crayfish that reproduces all on its own.

marty20 said:
There are about 30 of them. And im not breeding them... its a crayfish that reproduces all on its own.

Well I have a fahaka puffer he's a little guy only 3 inches. If you want to part them I'd like some lol.

Back
Top Bottom