Mexican Dwarf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive had my Mexican Dwarf crayfish for about 5 weeks and he/she has molted 3 times already. Is this normal? Seems like a lot to me, but I honestly have no idea.

My ghost shrimp has molted at least 3 times since I got him, and he has turned a brown color. I got them about 3 months ago. Im gonna research.

I know this doesn't help. But I am interested.

So I did some research and your crayfish may be going through its rapid growth rate. Think of it this way, every time he molts, he has become to big for his hard shell and has to shed it and make a new one.

Hope this has helped you=D

Thanks for the response. :thanks:

I was aware of why they molted... I just wasnt sure if molting once every week and a half was a normal rate or if its growing too fast. Just wanted to be sure I wasnt feeding it too much or something.

In two months mines only molted twice but mines an adult I caught in a local river. When they are young they molt very frequently to keep up with there growth rate. It will be less frequent as he ages. Do you have any pictures of the little guy?

Ok... that makes some sense I suppose. The first two molts I didnt notice too big of a size difference, but this third time he seems noticeably larger.

Attachments

• Cray1.jpg
    Cray1.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 120
  • Cray2.jpg
    Cray2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 127
Ok... that makes some sense I suppose. The first two molts I didnt notice too big of a size difference, but this third time he seems noticeably larger.

Mine was the same way the first molt there wasn't much difference in size (he did start to grow back his antenna that was missing when I got him). But one day I went to feed him and he had gotten noticeably larger. I'll post a picture of mine later when I'm home on my computer. The fish and crayfish got in close so I could take a "family" picture. And I like your crayfish he's cute. Does he bother other smaller fish or is he alone?

He/she's all by its lonesome in a 10 gallon at the moment. Most reports say the Mexican Dwarf is pretty good with other fish and isnt likely to destroy plants, but Im not sure I want to risk it. Plus, all my other tanks dont have any tops and this guy would likely escape.

I do have plans for a 90 gallon African cichlid tank in the next 4-6 months and was considering putting him in there when its ready. I dont think he'd bother the cichlids, but Im not sure if the cichlids would bother him. I'll have to look into it more when the time comes.

He/she's all by its lonesome in a 10 gallon at the moment. Most reports say the Mexican Dwarf is pretty good with other fish and isnt likely to destroy plants, but Im not sure I want to risk it. Plus, all my other tanks dont have any tops and this guy would likely escape.

I do have plans for a 90 gallon African cichlid tank in the next 4-6 months and was considering putting him in there when its ready. I dont think he'd bother the cichlids, but Im not sure if the cichlids would bother him. I'll have to look into it more when the time comes.

I have read a lot both ways some saying there safe and then some saying there not. From what I read marbled crayfish are suppose to be the most mellow. But I can't justify getting some right now because I really have no place to put her or the colony that she will make. I have never kept cichlids so I can't really say much on that other than I wouldn't keep him with large ones. If they do start to pick on him just put him back where he came from.

Tank pictures

Here are a couple pictures of my crayfish and one of his tank mates. I have another fish in there but he's nowhere near as photogenic as my sunfish.
If you would like for me to remove this post just shoot me a pm or post letting me know and they will be removed.

Here are a couple pictures of my crayfish and one of his tank mates. I have another fish in there but he's nowhere near as photogenic as my sunfish.
If you would like for me to remove this post just shoot me a pm or post letting me know and they will be removed.

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/ho...7-4587-b7f0-89928ab9eb72_zps13d2e5c0.jpg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/ho...4-430a-b91a-c2cfa1c529be_zps93afcf8f.jpg.html

What kind of Cray is that.

I have a Mexican dwarf also there cool ove had him a month but haven't noticed him molt yet

The pinchers on your's look like they'd do more damage than the ones on mine. :lol:
I like the stance on yours his Head and thorax are higher than the one on mine.

What kind of Cray is that.

I have a Mexican dwarf also there cool ove had him a month but haven't noticed him molt yet

I think it's a Sloan's crayfish (Orconectes sloanii) a couple pictures that come up look kind of like him and one looks dead on like him and that's really all I have ever been able to find on him. There mainly in Ohio and Indiana but have made there way into Kentucky(I live in central Kentucky). I caught him out of a small river about a mile away from my house. I was fishing for crappie/bluegill and saw him hiding under a log in front of me. I put my worm right in front of him and when he latched on I pulled him right out of the water. I put him in a water bottle filled with river water and brought him home for my tank.

I noticed when i feed my cray more often she molts more often. Espeically if they are young.

I like the stance on yours his Head and thorax are higher than the one on mine.

I think it's a Sloan's crayfish (Orconectes sloanii) a couple pictures that come up look kind of like him and one looks dead on like him and that's really all I have ever been able to find on him. There mainly in Ohio and Indiana but have made there way into Kentucky(I live in central Kentucky). I caught him out of a small river about a mile away from my house. I was fishing for crappie/bluegill and saw him hiding under a log in front of me. I put my worm right in front of him and when he latched on I pulled him right out of the water. I put him in a water bottle filled with river water and brought him home for my tank.

That's cool. And down here in Fl crappie are speck. LoL I've never heard anyone call a bluegill a crappie. Which reminds me it will be speck season down here soon enough. Woop neghiborhood fishfry. Our craws aren't nearly that cool though. I have a Mexican orange dwarf now I just need one of the blue dwarfs and ill be a happy camper.

Last edited:
That's cool. And down here in Fl crappie are speck. LoL I've never heard anyone call a bluegill a crappie. Which reminds me it will be speck season down here soon enough. Woop neghiborhood fishfry. Our craws aren't nearly that cool though. I have a Mexican orange dwarf now I just need one of the blue dwarfs and ill be a happy camper.

When I said crappie/bluegill I meant crappie and bluegill sorry for the confusion.

I noticed when i feed my cray more often she molts more often. Espeically if they are young.

I feed mine 2 shrimp pellets in the morning and 3 Hikari Crab food pellets in the evening. Once or twice a week I put in a piece of blanched kale (which it usually doesn't eat much if) and he gets half a shelled pea once a week. Over feeding?

Mine just eats leftovers from the fish new life spectrum small fish formula and whatever wafer I end up having open a couple times a week usually either a hikari bottom feeder wafer or a piece of a new life spectrum h2o stable wafer.

Back
Top Bottom