Mexican Dwarf Crayfish (with eggs!) & Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MouseEggs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my crayfish has black and orange eggs under her. I read that the orange ones are not fertilized. If any of these reach hatching, will they stand a chance with guppies in the tank as well?

Attachments

• 20191209_163445.jpg
    20191209_163445.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 64
Not only do you need to worry about the Guppies eating them, but they will eat each other as well. Once they molt they are very soft and in great danger of being a snack. The babies I had ate each other at a rapid pace.

You can move them into another tank and try giving them lots of places to hide. The mom will get rid of the eggs which aren't viable. You will eventually be able to see the babies inside the eggs most likely.

If it is a new mom dwarf crayfish, she might end up dropping the eggs all together. They are inexperienced and need to develop skill in keeping them fanned.

Make sure to keep the water parameters in perfect condition. Gently vac the tank before they are hatched. It is impossible to do for awhile after they are newly arrived.
As it will be more difficult to do pwc when they are skittering around in the tank.

Though you can do the pwc by catching the water coming out of the overflow in a cup if you have a HOB filter.

*****Make sure to cover the intake of the filter with a sponge prefilter to keep them from getting sucked up.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. If I set up a new tank for the babies after they're hatched, how do you transfer them without hurting them when they're so soft and small?

The babies will be hiding after molting and the others will be running around. you can put a wafer in a net in the bottom of the tank and wait for them to hop in to eat - like a trap. then try lifting it straight out but may be better to cover with another net to help prevent escape.

You can check out diy shrimp traps, some use water bottles modified and weighted.

I tried a xl tea steeper and it was moderately useful. Cover the top before removing or they swim out, lol. Mine was with the shrimp but the little crays scoot backwards, easier to catch
60074-albums9764-picture57414.jpg

Back
Top Bottom