Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some advice here. I saw this awesome crayfish at my local pet store. It is called the Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish. I was wondering if this crayfish could survive and thrive in my tank. I currently have a 30 gallon tank. I have 5 Congo Tetras, 4 Rosy Barbs, 5 Cory Cats, 4 Peppermint Tetras, and 2 Panda Garra. I am planning on adding two German Blue Rams. I have a ton of Amazon Swords and Dwarf Hairgrass plants. I also have fake driftwood in the tank and a cichlid stone. Would this crayfish be able to survive in my tank?

Bad Mix

Corys and crayfish can be a problem. Your tank may be large enough for one as long as it has hide areas. The rams will be a problem. The corys don't recognize territory and the rams will beat them up.

I love crayfish and have a bunch of them. The only tanks with corys are the tanks without crayfish. Tried it one time an corys are pricey for a food item.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. If I get one I will be very careful. These crayfish only get up to 1.5 inches and I believe they are peaceful, unlike the larger crayfish and lobsters.

My blue crayfish tears out my dwarf grass every night.

OK, read the link and I am still not convinced when it comes to the rams. Rams are more substrate dwellers and if your angle spends a lot of time down there it's dead. I would worry if the rams start to spawn. Anyone on the bottom is a threat and despite being small and beautiful, rams are cichlids. If you made a natural higher plain, maybe that could work, just a good guess. If you stock the tank up, let all of us know how it goes. The crayfish have different personalities as individuals and you may get lucky.

I have decided that I will take the safe route and not try this crayfish with Rams. Instead, I will just try some catfish. I don't want to blow $24 bucks on something that could get killed the next day or kill my other fish. Thanks for all your help. And my local fish store is Petland.

I have decided that I will take the safe route and not try this crayfish with Rams. Instead, I will just try some catfish. I don't want to blow $24 bucks on something that could get killed the next day or kill my other fish. Thanks for all your help. And my local fish store is Petland.

Going with more Cory's? Or a different kind?

sorry, i meant does anyone know how to sex CPO?

Yeah. The females have swimmerets that are longer and in an "L" shape. Males have a hole where the tail starts and that is where the sperm is made. The males swimmerets are also smaller and less wavy when used.

I have a Bolivian ram with Cory cats and kuhli loaches. All is calm. The odd chase. Is expected though. No major problems.

Back
Top Bottom