min requirements for ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennMc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 3.5 gallon aquarium kit in my office. I would like to put ghost shrimp in but am having trouble finding clear info on the minimum requirements for them as far as plants, lighting, filters, temp. I've tried searching the forums, there is lots about them but not exactly what I'm searching for.

So I'm wondering a few things:

1) do they "need" live plants? because the kit comes with a LED light which I don't think real plants will survive with
2) the kit comes with a noisy internal filter. I would prefer not to use it but assume shrimp need some sort of oxygenation?
3) what temp is ideal?
4) how often do they need to be fed?

anything else I should consider?

Thanks! I am new to shrimp but have some in my 20 gallon at home and they are doing well.

Shrimp do like something to climb on, so plants would definitely be appreciated. You could get something like Java Moss which could grow with the light that your kit came with. The shrimp do need filtration. Temperature, I would say 78 degrees F would be good. And since shrimp are scavengers, I would only feed them a tiny piece of an algae disc once a week or once every two weeks or so.

Thanks! I will look for that plant, guess I'll need to get some sort of timer for the lights for weekends as well.

Ghost shrimp prefer the ground to climbing so plants aren't a priority. Filtration is good, and temps from 70-80 will be fine. Lighting can be whatever you want, or just ambient light from the room. They really aren't picky shrimp and will eat all sorts of flakes, pellets, and frozen food. Feeding a few times a week will be fine.

--Adeeb

Simple plants like java moss and an Anubias would do nicely. If anything you'll appreciate the look they'll add. Ghost aren't the algae eaters like Amano or RCS are, but an algae wafer here and there along with crushed flakes will do for food. All other relevant stuff's been mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom