Missing snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millerman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some Malaysian trumpet snails and they all arrived cold with no heater pack dead I thought. I put them in a bag off water and to my surprise one of the little guys survived. I put him in my tank, but I can't find him now. I know that one snail in a 55 gallon tank might be hard to spot but is their anyway I can tell if it's still alive. I've been checking the glass at night time. He was their for the first two days on the glass and burrowing but I haven't seen him since

I bought some Malaysian trumpet snails and they all arrived cold with no heater pack dead I thought. I put them in a bag off water and to my surprise one of the little guys survived. I put him in my tank, but I can't find him now. I know that one snail in a 55 gallon tank might be hard to spot but is their anyway I can tell if it's still alive. I've been checking the glass at night time. He was their for the first two days on the glass and burrowing but I haven't seen him since

Good luck and I hope you find it.
Out of curiosity, where did the snails originate from and how long was the transit time? I would like to mail some MTS without a heat pack and I am cautious about doing so with this weather. This would be in the lower 48 (VA to MA). Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ordered them off amazon. I think it took 5 or 6 days from New York to Alaska. I also ordered around Christmas so that might have slowed things down a bit

Thanks for the info. Hope it survives. I put ONE big MTS in my shrimp tank and now there are hundreds. Apparently tank maintenance is not the only thing they are good at.

I hope he's not dead im just not sure how to tell would I of seen him by now if he was alive?

That's hard to say given the size of the tank and the fact that MTS like to burrow into the substrate.

A rainbow shark, one swordtail, and 5 black phantom tetra. I was planing on getting some zebra loaches later but I was hopping they would control the population and not extinct them.

MTS survive almost anything. I probably would have kept the "dead" ones wet to see if they woke up.

As was said MTS burrow. He should show up.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I did keep the dead ones and I know they are very hardy but could the stress of winter shipping and no heater of killed him even though he made it into the tank. I'm still hoping he is alive and its only been a week since I seen him. Can the one I have clone itself?

They reproduce fast. I don't think they need 2 to make babies.

Sorry the others died. Glad you thought of that.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah it was kinda a dumb deal because I have no idea why they were not shipped with a heat pack in the winter especially when I had to pay shipping

Back
Top Bottom