MTS appearing from nowhere! Confirm ID and help me guess where it came from!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have never had trumpet snails in any tank. Debated adding them before but always wimped out because I knew I’d never get it snail free again if I changed my mind.

And today I see this little guy!

MTS right?!

Here’s the fun part. None in any other tank. I haven’t added plants (except emersed tissue culture plants or bulbs) to this tank in years. Otherwise the plants in there all came from my older tanks which never had snails. I doubt snails could survive in that tube on the store shelf for long even if there was contamination. I HAVE added fish a few times in the last couple months, some without quarantine. (Ich broke out after in this tank after the first batch of fish moved in from quarantine, so I decided to fill out the schools all at once from this source so I could treat them all for ich at once.)

I always drip acclimate then net the fish.

As far as I know MTS don’t lay eggs so the only plausible explanation I can think of is that one actually snuck in with the FISH. Which I knew was theoretically possible but seemed so unlikely :lol:

I popped him in my quarantine tank while I see if I can spot more! Where there’s one there’s usually more, right. :p

Attachments

• 925D1B8B-03E7-4DFC-9C7F-C2D7229E9DC8.jpg
    925D1B8B-03E7-4DFC-9C7F-C2D7229E9DC8.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 29
3 months later…. Much bigger snail, and still no babies. Don’t MTS breed asexually? It’s been in my QT for months now because I was afraid of a snail plague ?

Are MTS sexed? Like perhaps I have one male and only the females can reproduce asexually?

Attachments

• 9705FCB2-EE32-41CB-8A1F-066707BEC843.jpg
    9705FCB2-EE32-41CB-8A1F-066707BEC843.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 26
It is pretty! If I wasn’t afraid of a sudden plague I would put it in my shrimp tank but I am still afraid ?

Back
Top Bottom