Mts - explosion !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Oh my! My little hitchiking MTS have exploded in my 46g tank. I've removed some when they crawl up the glass but yesterday after lights out . . . OMG, is all I can say. I will be cutting back on feeding my fish to help the situation. I'm going to look in my filter & vacuum the substrate to suck out as many babies as possible. I know about assassin snails but am not ready for the that route just yet. Any suggestions other than what I've already mentioned? Are there any issues I need to be aware of until I can get this under control? I haven't seen a water quality issue yet.

I've heard if you put a piece of lettuce in the tank and leave it overnight the snails will be on it in the morning and you can just remove the lettuce. I'm not sure how well that works though.

Oh my! My little hitchiking MTS have exploded in my 46g tank. I've removed some when they crawl up the glass but yesterday after lights out . . . OMG, is all I can say. I will be cutting back on feeding my fish to help the situation. I'm going to look in my filter & vacuum the substrate to suck out as many babies as possible. I know about assassin snails but am not ready for the that route just yet. Any suggestions other than what I've already mentioned? Are there any issues I need to be aware of until I can get this under control? I haven't seen a water quality issue yet.

I'd take some off your hands but the MTS that I seeded my 55 with are now finally started to take off. I happen to like them. They mix up my sand so that I don't have to.

Have been in your shoes too... Pick out the bigger ones by hand. Cutting back on feedings will help too. I have sand in the tank that was infested, so I went and bought a small, fine meshed net and sifted through the sand and scooped the tiny mts out by the hundreds! I also added assassin snails. It's really cool to watch them eat a snail.

If you do not have any shrimp or other invertebrates that you want to keep you can try using a copper ich med at half strength for a week it will kill most snails at a low dosage that will not harm fish or plants I had a bottle of aquari-sol just for them but not sure if they make it any more I have not been able to find it for a while

Thanks all for the advice. I did a really good cleaning yesterday, taking out the caves & vacuuming really well everywhere I could & hand picked out some of the larger ones. I cut to feeding every other day & I only drop algae tabs twice a week at the most. Hopefully this will help otherwise I see a few assassin snails in my future!

I got all the ones from my lfs for free along with some ramshorns and pond snails I keep them in my shrimp tank and every once and awhile throw one of each in my planted tank for my assassins. I'm just running low on mts. And out of the 3 there my favorate.

I will take some off your hands say 10 or so.

Wish I would've seen this sooner I just got rid of at least 10 larger ones but I'm sure ill have more. I've never whipped live creatures before so would have to look into that.

Snails are the easiest to ship just tape the corners up double bag them and throw some stiro foam around them

Back
Top Bottom