Multi Shrimp Breeder Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA members,

Well after taking a long break from the aquarium hobby, I'm coming back stronger then ever. I plan on breeding multiple types of shrimp as well as creating great balanced shrimp ecosystems. I also plan on select breeding shrimp for more true and attractive colors.

Until I get to that huge point, I got to start somewhere. I have recently completely setup for my first tank. This includes an air pump driven sponge filter, full of plants, a heater, and Yellow Shrimp.

Here is the Yellow shrimp tank.

Here is tank #2 that will be holding a soft water breed of shrimp. I do not have a RO filter to lower my, pretty hard, water. I've been experimenting with peat moss with great results so far, lowering my pH from around 8.0 to around 6.4 - 6.6. As you can see it does darken your water, but it works so far. The tank is only running with a sponge filter, HOB power filter (which will be removed) and a heater. No plants or shrimp yet, still dialing down the water parameters before I start adding things.

Stay peaceful,
Ben

If you have not ever really worked with shrimp before then I would suggest starting with 2-3 color variants of Neocaridina which are by far the most hardy.

Starting with 2-3 species is ideal because you won't overextend yourself and loose focus, it's also best if you are planning to "selectively breed" shrimp. In my experience you need anywhere from 2-4+ tanks if you are trying to strengthen the characteristics/colors of a strain or come up with your own variants.

Your "soft water species tank" gives me cause for concern, if you don't not have naturally soft water or RO water I wouldn't attempt it. When trying to buffer water down like that there is potential for larger parameter shifts in the water and even more so when attempting water changes. Bee/Crystal/Tiger shrimp are line bred to the point that they are very sensitive to the slightest change in their water chemistry and require very clean water. So unless you want to have buckets and buckets of water sitting around for water changes that have been aged/buffered down and heated to match the tank temperature I'd skip them.

If you have not ever really worked with shrimp before then I would suggest starting with 2-3 color variants of Neocaridina which are by far the most hardy.

Starting with 2-3 species is ideal because you won't overextend yourself and loose focus, it's also best if you are planning to "selectively breed" shrimp. In my experience you need anywhere from 2-4+ tanks if you are trying to strengthen the characteristics/colors of a strain or come up with your own variants.

Your "soft water species tank" gives me cause for concern, if you don't not have naturally soft water or RO water I wouldn't attempt it. When trying to buffer water down like that there is potential for larger parameter shifts in the water and even more so when attempting water changes. Bee/Crystal/Tiger shrimp are line bred to the point that they are very sensitive to the slightest change in their water chemistry and require very clean water. So unless you want to have buckets and buckets of water sitting around for water changes that have been aged/buffered down and heated to match the tank temperature I'd skip them.

Just to inform you. I've been working with shrimp for around 5 to 6 years now and I can go to any basic care invertebrate website and read everything you said. Which in this case I have dozens of times over the years.

I have a 7 20g aquarium stand for breeding and selective breeding neos.

As you can tell or read the soft water tank is experimental and obviously would not purchase expensive soft water shrimp until I know the parameters of the water are stable. If it doesn't work of course I will have to purchase a RO unit.

Thanks for taking your time to put in your two cents but this isn't my first rodeo.

There's no need to be defensive you did not give any insight to the fact that you had a back ground in shrimp, which is why I responded in such a manner. The majority of this forum is new and inexperienced aquarist so the majority of us tailor our responses as such unless the OP gives us a back ground on their base knowledge. I meant no offense.

What strains of Neo are you going to work with/ what are your goals for each?

There's no need to be defensive you did not give any insight to the fact that you had a back ground in shrimp, which is why I responded in such a manner. The majority of this forum is new and inexperienced aquarist so the majority of us tailor our responses as such unless the OP gives us a back ground on their base knowledge.

I figured people with experience would understand a first timer wouldn't be setting up multiple aquariums, besides the fact that they are for breeding or know anything about selective shrimp breeding.

Peace n Love
Ben

You'd be surprised there's allot of first timers that go all gun ho with things right off the bat! I was one of them many many years ago, going all in on a new project with out grasping the full extent of what I was getting into. I like to think that I am older and wiser now, lol.

I'm currently running three strains, I may add 2-3 more once I set up my 6' rack system.

You'd be surprised there's allot of first timers that go all gun ho with things right off the bat! I was one of them many many years ago, going all in on a new project with out grasping the full extent of what I was getting into. I like to think that I am older and wiser now, lol.

I'm currently running three strains, I may add 2-3 more once I set up my 6' rack system.

Go big or go home right?

What's strains you running now? I'm working with 10 ft long stand, only had two levels, will fit 7 20g longs.

Haha yep! I still go big but I have a better understanding of stuff now.

The rack I am getting is 72x24x72, ill most likely run two 40B on the bottom, a row of 20H and a row of 10 gallons. It will be for my livebearers and shrimp.

I'm running Taiwan Reds, Carbon Rilis and Blue Velvet.

Well on a happy 20th of April *wink wink*. I woke up to find one of my yellow females already berried. One of I think 16 females that Im hoping will also be full of eggs soon.

Only have had these guys for maybe a week or two.

ForumRunner_20130420_122619.jpg

Ill have better shots later,
Peace n Love
Ben

Came across my second berried female after having this batch for 2 weeks. It was kind of bummer that it was one of my weakest colored shrimp, weaker then my males. I would have removed her sooner but I need to build my colony size before I start selective breeding for color.

ForumRunner_20130422_141649.jpg

Peace n love
Ben

Came across my second berried female after having this batch for 2 weeks. It was kind of bummer that it was one of my weakest colored shrimp, weaker then my males. I would have removed her sooner but I need to build my colony size before I start selective breeding for color.

Peace n love
Ben

Oh man that's pretty pale, but her offspring can still turn out to be very colorful. I feel your pain on waiting for the colony size to build up so there's enough shrimp to work with.

Oh man that's pretty pale, but her offspring can still turn out to be very colorful. I feel your pain on waiting for the colony size to build up so there's enough shrimp to work with.

Yeah that's all I'm hoping for is that her offspring turn out with more color. It's literally is the one out of thirty, that has like no color. I don't even have a male that pale.

Well here is an update

In the yellow shrimp tank third female found berried. She is younger then the other two so she doesn't hold as many eggs but she has great color.

ForumRunner_20130423_133144.jpg

The second aquarium is stabilized and will be getting planted in the next few days. This aquarium will aid in my yellow shrimp selective breeding.

I've also gotten my third tank. After this third one is ready to go I'll be introducing plants and a second species of shrimp.

Peace n love
Ben

Thought Id post a couple pictures I took today of the yellows. After having these puppies for 2 weeks I have 7 berried females. Surprised how well they are doing in such a high pH, around 8.

ForumRunner_20130425_130102.jpg

ForumRunner_20130425_130111.jpg

Peace n Love
Ben

Well I woke up today with baby shrimp in the yellow shrimp tank. They are still really small but will try to get some pictures.

From when I use to breed this is the fastest I've gotten babies from purchase of original colony. It's great. Now it's time to focus on my next two aquariums for my other species of shrimp.

Peace n Love
Ben

wow, thats amazing!

It took me almost 2 months, before my colonies started breeding! =(

wow, thats amazing!

It took me almost 2 months, before my colonies started breeding! =(

Yeah I was honestly pretty surprised with the speed as well even after doing this for years.

I hear some people waiting up to 6 months. It helped that I started off with a strong and large 30 shrimp colony.

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't been posting. I've been super busy. My colony is doing great and growing large. I think I might add some fresh blood in there soon.

ForumRunner_20130606_094926.jpg

I will be starting to thin out my colony in the next few days so I will be selling some juvies. I'll post something in the classified area when they're ready.

Next I need to start working on getting my next species to breed. I have another fully planted 20g long ready to go. Will most likely stick to the same species just another variety.

I'll post more pics later today.

Peace n Love
Ben

Back
Top Bottom