My 1st Mystery Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got my first Mystery Snail today! :) I'm excited. Have no idea on a name. He or she is in my 10g with my Betta.
Anything special I need to do in regards to care?
I feed my Betta 4 pellets every other day. What do I feed my snail?

Thanks for the help guys :)

image-1052207475.jpg

You're going to love your snail & your Betta will probably take a few days to get used to him. My Bettas picked on the snails at 1st & the snails no longer had antennaes. It's been about a month now & all is good. Supply Algae wafers for your snail, I drop them each one once a day. They also like veggies; kale, spinach, cucumber, zucchini. When I put in cucumber or zucchini they barely touch it the 1st day but there's no trace of it within 48hrs. I have been told & read they need calcium for shell strength which can be done with liquid calcium, cuttlebone, kale. I love watching my snails, it is fascinating the way they move around. Don't be surprised if he or she is not very active the 1st few days, I got 4 all at the same time, 2 went in the 46g, 1 each into the 10g tanks. The black one in the 46g was active from day one the others took a little more time. ENJOY ! ! !

shellieca said:
It doesn't take them long to find those, it amazes me. :)

I dropped it right in front of it... Didn't last long tho cause my Betta kept bumping it until it went back into it's shell and then stood guard over the shell making sure it didn't come back out.
Hmm may take a few days to acclimate... If not then to my 29g it goes...

I have a gold mystery snail in with my betta also. He never bothered him. I don't know about a waffer once a day....seems like alot. I give mine once a week and he is bigger and badder then ever....he was active from day one.

ocminpin said:
I dropped it right in front of it... Didn't last long tho cause my Betta kept bumping it until it went back into it's shell and then stood guard over the shell making sure it didn't come back out.
Hmm may take a few days to acclimate... If not then to my 29g it goes...

LOL. My Bettas will sometimes guard the wafer cause they nibble on it too. When I 1st put the snails in, the Bettas picked on them cause they were something new but after a few days they quit. Now they just look at them. Of my 4 snails only one still has short antennae but they're growing back so I think Simon finally gave in & accepted the snail is there to stay.

I'm going to have to go with veggies for the snail because my Betta ate the majority of the pellets and bloated himself..
Question.... In middle of rotted algae wafer is a clear trail of poo... Is this the snails poo?

How often do I feed the snail? I feed my Betta very other day... Every other day sufficient or daily? I'm going to do blanched veggies because my Betta gorges on the algae wafers.

This also means feeding veggies that I should up my PWC schedule to twice a week, instead of once, right? I want the tank to be in excellent condition.

I feed veg daily, but some people might do it less. I usually clean my tank out every 3 days but mine's only 26litres, I would just carry on with your usual maintenance & if you think it needs done earlier then just do it, cause snails can really poop lol

shellyx said:
I feed veg daily, but some people might do it less. I usually clean my tank out every 3 days but mine's only 26litres, I would just carry on with your usual maintenance & if you think it needs done earlier then just do it, cause snails can really poop lol

How many gallons is 26 liters? My tank is 10g.

It's 6.6 gallons, I,ve always cleaned my tank out every 3 days as it was always covered in snail poop it was like tinsel from plant to plant lol

My snail loves algae wafers, so much that I have to put two in to make sure my cories get some. I would reccomend Hikari wafers over any other type.

I caught him/her on the glass for the first time! :) the pic doesn't show the antennas but I could see them... Glad Betta hasnt made a snack of them!
Can anyone tell the sex from these pics??

image-2847068668.jpg

image-3923285771.jpg

Attachments

• image-902626174.jpg
    image-902626174.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom