My Shrimp are berried! Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Gazing into my tank today I noticed 1 berried Ghost Shrimp and at least 4 berried RCS. Anything special I need to do? They are in with a guppy and 2 Mystery Snails. Is the guppy going to eat the babies???

I tried to get a picture but its pretty hard so sorry for the terrible quality!!!!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 139
For the rcs, you will get shrimplets soon enough. If the tank has enough places to hide, you will get some survivors, but the guppy will certainly eat any it can catch. Your moss will give shrimplets nice places to hide though.

absolutangel04 said:
For the rcs, you will get shrimplets soon enough. If the tank has enough places to hide, you will get some survivors, but the guppy will certainly eat any it can catch. Your moss will give shrimplets nice places to hide though.

Awesome thanks :) I have a ton of Subwassertang in there hopefully they will be ok!

Wellll another thing is if you have ghost and RCS together, the RCS will not be very happy, nor will many of your babies survive. Ghost shrimp eat their own young, let alone tasty RCS

MABJ said:
Wellll another thing is if you have ghost and RCS together, the RCS will not be very happy, nor will many of your babies survive. Ghost shrimp eat their own young, let alone tasty RCS

That's a bummer :( I didn't know that :(

I keep rcs and ghosts together, many people do. Experiences will vary since there is a multitude of shrimp species that are labeled as ghosts. Its definitely a cause for concern but something I'd just keep an eye on personally.

AndrewsPistol said:
That's a bummer :( I didn't know that :(

Because the ghost shrimp are so aggressive, RCS aren't really compatible with them :/.

Sorry

jetajockey said:
I keep rcs and ghosts together, many people do. Experiences will vary since there is a multitude of shrimp species that are labeled as ghosts. Its definitely a cause for concern but something I'd just keep an eye on personally.

Jeta here makes a good point. I've only ever had the aggressive ghost shrimp I guess. So like he said, keep your eyes peeled for any fighting/suspicious deaths.

One thing that probably will remain true; you probably won't get any babies lol.

Yeah I've seen my ghost shrimp gang up on a pond snail and take it out, can be nasty lil buggers.

They seem to coexist well, the RCS def out number them. I will keep my eyes open for any suspicious behavior :)

I have my ghosts in a separate tank from my rcs, but I have seen my ghosts perch on a branch and grab unsuspecting guppy fry. Fast little buggers. :ermm:

LyndaB said:
I have my ghosts in a separate tank from my rcs, but I have seen my ghosts perch on a branch and grab unsuspecting guppy fry. Fast little buggers. :ermm:
Really? Well that's another bummer for me cuz if I have to move them the only place they could go is the guppy fry tank :( its funny u say that cuz when I feed they perch on the scape with their arms up ready to catch food! I have seen them grab a shrimp pellet out if mid air! Well, water lol. Very entertaining creatures :)

I've heard it's hit or miss with ghost shrimp on if they'll attack babies, maybe you have the ones that don't, won't know till you see for yourself though. For me it's always miss, got rid of one batch only to have the 2nd batch even worse lol.

Sake said:
I've heard it's hit or miss with ghost shrimp on if they'll attack babies, maybe you have the ones that don't, won't know till you see for yourself though. For me it's always miss, got rid of one batch only to have the 2nd batch even worse lol.

Well I hope it will work out for me. The Ghosts are growing big and fast... Just curious does n e one know how big they get???

I've got 2 that are about an inch and a half right now o_O Oh here's a short video of mine eating a snail it's kinda funny watching her trying to get it out of it's shell. Ghost shrimp 024.MPG - YouTube

Wow that was awesome! Really wanted that snail lol. Ok one more question lol, Do rcs have develop their red? I have a lot that look almost just like miniature Ghosts...

Back
Top Bottom