Mystery damage on a mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted a thread a few threads down discussing my new mystery snail and asking for advice on his care....I'm just starting to get a better look at him as he become more comfy in his new home, and I'm a little stumped....he appears to have acid pitting and a "run" on his shell from old damage growing out, but what is this?
91042-albums13841-picture66391.jpg

I looks like something scraped him up....like, ran him over a cheese grater :blink:

Another angle:
91042-albums13841-picture66390.jpg

Any input? What happened to the poor thing?

Maybe he got stuck and got scraped while trying to drag himself through maybe your hard castle (?) decoration. Just guessing, never seen a shell like that before. Keep giving him calcium to help him grow it back, i hope he gets better! :flowers:

Thanks for the replies, all! I've only had him three days now. A lady came into the fish dept. where I work and begged me to take her snail. I was going to refuse, but then I got a look at him and decided to take him. I think the lady was looking for an algae solution and didn't realize these guys actually need care -________- She said it was DESTROYING her plants, which leads me to believe he was starved (and/or she has no idea how to grow plants....)

But yeah, I think that particular damage was caused by scraping (he had it when i got him), just wanted to see if someone agreed. I'm keeping an eye on him and the castle :)

Anyways, it's only day three, but he's happily munched down on peas and algae wafers, and left my plants alone. I'm trying to get my pH up a bit (it's 6.8), with eggshell and cuttlebone for calcium too, and hopefully he's on his way to recovery. Even if he takes a turn for the worse, at least he's gotten a good belly of food :(

Back
Top Bottom