Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mystery shrimp death

I had 2 shrimp in a tank and they were doing fine for a week. Then, a day ago I noticed one of them was gone. When I was wiping my tank glass, I noticed a shrimp head floating around. The other shrimp is doing completely fine. Does anyone know what to do? I don't want the other shrimp to die a similar death.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How are the water parameters?

Are you topping off evaporated water with RO / or distilled water- tds csn build up?

Maybe a molt?

Adding ferts?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Found the cause already... the shrimp were somehow going through the intake of the hang-on back filter that was sitting on the tank. I don't know how they could fit through the holes in the intake, because they were twice as big as the intake holes, but they managed it.

It turns out the first shrimp got shredded by the filter motor. That must have sucked. The second one I found eating from the filter cartridge. After I put the second shrimp into the tank, it immediately started hiding. I guess it just got traumatized or something.

I found a piece of netting lying around and I just put it around the intake so nothing like that happens again...

I'm happy I figured that one out because I was just about to go and get some more shrimp and I didn't want the same problem to hurt them in any way.

Tags
death, eat, mystery, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com