Mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Or some reason one of my snails seems to be losing his shell. It's receding back from his "face". He's in a 46g with 3 Bettas, 2 CAE's & another snail. I've been adding liquid calcium almost every day, feeding algae wafers, zucchini or cucumber 2-3 days a week. Any ideas?

image-3300536975.jpg

No ideas? He's been doing the not moving thing for the last 2 days. I know they'll do this from time to time but his shell has me concerned.

shellieca said:
No ideas? He's been doing the not moving thing for the last 2 days. I know they'll do this from time to time but his shell has me concerned.

Hi, I had a look on applesnail.net for you as I'm a member. It looks like a fissure which is their already on the shell & can get bigger due too the shell growing quickly with heat, your doing everything right with calcium. The only thing that helps is lower temps but that's not easy when you have fish. Just keep doing the calcium & hopefully he/she will be fine. Hope this helps :)

shellyx said:
Hi, I had a look on applesnail.net for you as I'm a member. It looks like a fissure which is their already on the shell & can get bigger due too the shell growing quickly with heat, your doing everything right with calcium. The only thing that helps is lower temps but that's not easy when you have fish. Just keep doing the calcium & hopefully he/she will be fine. Hope this helps :)

Thank you. I think it's a he as this one keeps getting onto the other one. I've had him about 6 weeks, he didn't look like that when I got him & it seems to be getting worse so I thought there might be something more I could do. The tank temp stays about 80 & could probably go a little cooler. I'll do some additional research, you've given me a good start.

shellyx said:
No problem, good luck :)

According to applesnail.net this can happen to the male due to mating, hmmmm. He's on the other one about once a day so I think that may be the problem. I may do some snails rearranging. :)

I,ll have too keep an eye on mine make sure that doesn't happen. Thanks :)

Well he didn't make it. I moved him to a 10g tank, acclimated him 1st, kept adding calcium to the tank & he never moved, was partially out of his shell & it looked like his antennae were exploring but that's as far as he'd go. This afternoon I wen to feed the Betta & the snails shell was empty & he was floating at the top. :-( did a big water change to be on the safe side, I wasn't sure how long he had been dead.

Back
Top Bottom